Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how much/ how often to feed solids

Default how much/ how often to feed solids

Just started feeding 6.5 mo twins solids. Still nursing on demand (no real schedule) during day. I know BM is most important til they're a year and don't want them to replace nursing by filling up on too much solids. Anyone have a good plan of how much solids to feed babies at different ages so they get appropriate amount of BM while transitioning to solids. I'm just not sure. Somedays, when I feel like it, I feed them about 1/2 cup of fruit, and somedays, I just nurse all day and don't end up feeding them solids at all. They seem to get excited and enjoy eating when we do it, but also don't seem to mind if we skip it. So far, just feeding them purees with a spoon. I tried chopping up little pieces of banana or peaches but they don't have pincer grasp mastered yet so they just got frustrated.

Default Re: how much/ how often to feed solids

I think what you are doing is great. Give them solids when you feel like it. Once a day is plenty from what I understand. I found when I gave it twice a day he didnt do so well. And skipping days wont hurt anything. We were doing every other day for a while. If you ever feel they are less interested in nursing just skip the solids for while and make sure that is still their number one choice. Luke definitely gets excited about it too. And now when I'm eating he looks at my fork expectingly like, "thats for me, right". He can eat a jar of food and still want more but I cut him off there. So just give until they seem uninterested or when you feel they've had enough. HTH

my 5 month old eats 3 meals a day. he eats anywhere from a couple of tablespoons to 8-9 tablespoons. just nurse the babies first so that they are still getting enough bm, then give them as much solids as they want. they will let you know when they are done. it's what works for me...every baby is different. good luck!

I agree with pp. BF first.

P.S.
    It's so cool that your twins have different birthdays!!
    Hi! I'm Shelley!
    Feeling like a and lovin' it!
    Cloth Diapering Convert

Married DH 8/5/2000
    DS 2/25/03 Always making me laugh!
    DD 1/23/07 Loves to Breastfed 15 months with no end in sight!

My Daughter can't take BM and solids in the same sitting, it just doesn't work for us. There is a major vomit fest if we do that.

I nurse her 4 times a day and do solids for breakfast and at least once in the PM. I am just now trying to get her to do 3 times a day, but I don't force her if she seems fine. We alternate BF with solids. For emaple, wake up nurse is at 7am, we do solids at 8:45 before her nap.

It is a balancing act and things will change over time.

Good Luck!

LoveBeingAMommy - how old is your dd? I found the same thing happens with us - solids too soon after nursing and there are problems. I am trying to wait at least an hour before solids. We are doing one breakfast and one dinner right now with some cereal before bed. This seems to be working good but its only been a couple days.

Sierra is 7 months yesterday. We do BF every 4 hours and solids 3 times a day but not too much.

BF 7am
    solids breakfast 8:30

1 & 1/2 hours between works for us. Lunch is small, but Sierra is petite. I stage 2 jar in the am and pm, but only 1 stage 1 (small) jar in the mid day.

Yeah Luke is finally getting on a schedule. He is 6 mos on friday. 2 meals a day is going good, nursing 5 times a day, 3-4 hours in between. Sleeping has gotten much better too...but that was because we worked hard on it. He is a much happier boy now, and we are much happier parents

How did you know when to switch to stage two? Did you go by the sitting unsupported suggestion? I think it will be a while before he does that...

Stage 1 and Stage 2 foods are the same-- Stage 2 is just in a bigger jar! When The Boy was younger, I would buy Stage 2s for at home and put the extra in the refrigerator for the next day. I would buy the Stage 1s (more expensive per ounce) for when we were going somewhere.
    Hot momma to The Boy born 19 December 2006.

Nursing The Boy for 1 year...and still going strong! I kicked the pump out the door though!

Oh, and I'm a cloth convert. Late in life. But only at home. Daycare isn't having it.

Until 9 months I gave my son solids only once a day, that is just before bedtime and then nursed to sleep. I was BF on demand, sometimes every 2 hours, sometimes more frequently. I just wanted him to get as much BM as possible and since my supply was a little low in the evenings, giving him solids then worked out fine. After 9 months we increased solids to twice a day, lunch and before bed. At 14 months we started 3 meals a day (sometimes 4 if he is willing to) lunch, snack and dinner. He sometimes isn't interested in breakfast and morning snack since he nurses all night and not very hungry in the mornings. I nurse him all night+7-8am before he wakes up, 10 am as a snack, 2pm before nap, 4pm at the end of the nap, 8-9pm before bedtime.