Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Problems breastfeeding

Default Problems breastfeeding

My newborn (6 days old) doesn't suck my breast much when she latches on (rarely latches on). She might suck 1-2 times and then just sits there, sleeps or cries. I was able to get her to latch on and breastfeed briefly after she was born in the hosptial, but she went 24 hours without a wet diaper at home (wouldn't breastfeed, getting dehydrated), so I started pumping my milk and giving it to her in a bottle. She easily feeds from a bottle, but I want to breastfeed her. I talked to a lactation consultant and she couldn't get her to breastfeed either. Why won't she suck when on the breast? She sucks my finger.

How many ounces of breast milk should she get per feeding?
    Last edited by boyercl; September 6th, 2007 at 08:45 PM.

Default Re: Problems breastfeeding

Here's the basic formula:

Wt. in kilograms multiplied by 115 = number of calories needed per day

Number of calories needed per day divided by 20 = number of ounces needed per day

Number of ounces needed per day divided by the number of feedings in a day = amount to feed per feeding

HTH!

pump but also try to get her to latch on even if it for 5minutes she'll want more at a later time.. the more u nurse her the more she'll want to nurse instead of wanting a bottle. hth

jaamommy is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I know it's hard and very stressful, but do try to nurse your lo as much as you can or as much as your lo wants.

It is very tough those 1st few weeks but it will get better, just remember that the more you practice with her the better she'll get.

Babies tend to be very sleepy the 1st few weeks, my dd was also that way in the beggining all she wanted to do was sleep, as soon as she would latch on she would pass out.

How many wet diapers are you getting in a 24 hr period?

But IF you're using a bottle, make sure its a slow flow teat.

I find that Dr Brown has very soft teats, so this may not be a good idea to be introducing to a NB whom has not yet learned to BF, she may get used to it and may not want the breast later..

Thanks for the advice. I am very disappointed she won't take my breast or latch on. I keep trying, but I'm not sure how long to try at each feeding. She gets to mad. I don't want her to develop an aversion to breastfeeding.

She has plenty of wet diapers, at least 6 a day.

sounds like she just gets furstrated.. mmm try and burp her after she unlatches and then once u get 2-3 burps out put her back on.

My lo did the same and the most important thing is to watch her diapers. And maybe go in and get her weighed. My lo would do this which I called snacking. Just stop when she gets real mad and try to walk around with her then go back to it later. Sometimes they do get spoiled with a bottle and then they don't want to work at the breast but don't give up. I also noticed that she did this when i ate or drank something she didn't like. For my lo it was pepsi. If i drank a pepsi she would do this for three days straight I thought I would go mad. But be patient and see how it goes. I know its hard when they cry because we just want to fix it but when they are that small we still have to figure out what it is we are fixing sometimes we think its hunger but its actually gas or some other problem. In the meantime

have you thought about alternatives to the bottle?
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/a...e-feeding.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/bottle-feeding.html

shes young yet,
    was she early?
    Did you have a hard birth with lots of drugs?
    this is a great link to about getting baby back to breast
    some babies it just takes longer to get the hang of things.
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/back.html

I have heard that if you use the side of your finger to massage the baby's throat once she is latched on, it will stimulate her to suckle and swallow.

and I hope things get better for you!

You're doing a great job!

abby