Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: consensus on storage bags vs bottles?

Default consensus on storage bags vs bottles?

Hi there -

I'm new to these forums but am already addicted so thanks to all the moms who have offered great advice. I've been pumping 6 weeks and still have tons of questions.

I've been perusing threads discussing storage systems, but I'm wondering if there is a consensus regarding storage bags vs. bottles. I was considering buying some bottles, as the bags are getting pricey (and I've tried 3 kinds and still don't have a favorite), but it seems like the storage bottles, such as Mother's Milkmate or snappies, are not generally in favor amongst experienced pumpers.

Also, one post asked the question of whether milk in bottles would get freezer burn since there is air at the top. No replies yet. Any opinions on that???

Thanks for any advice to the newbie...

Default Re: consensus on storage bags vs bottles?

Peronsal I like tha bottles...i bought the bags and they were nice, but the cost adds up.... I don't freeze so I can't answer you ? about that. i think i would buy bags to freeze
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

I like the bags. I freeze a lot because I work full-time and it's an easy way to get the milk to his grandma's house. The bags I have freeze flat and so they are eaiser to stack. I use the bags in the freezer so I really am not sure about freezer burn.

I have always used bottles because I don't like the idea of all those bags going to landfill. But the bags do look far easier to store and am also worried now about polycarbonate.

Well as you can see, there is no consensus.
    If freezer space is limited, I would stick with the bags. I used the Avent VIA storage bottles. I believe those are BPA-free but they do not come in small sizes so that can be annoying. I believe Medela makes a BPA-free one but you'd have make sure.
    Personally, I rarely stored in the freezer because I was usually barely keeping up and just storing in the fridge, but the few times that I stored in the freezer, I did not notice any freezer burn. I would make sure the lid is tightly fastened and the temp in your freezer is fairly constant.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

I don't think I have ever had an issue with freezer burn, now that I think of it.

I love the milk storage bags.
    Tracy...Mommy to my two beautiful girls - Kinzie Marie, 1/19/01 and Ryan Renee, 2/1/07
    Married to Danny, an amazing husband and father - 3/22/03

Age Ticker

Breast milk is better than any udder milk!

My opinion is that anybody offended by breastfeeding is staring too hard. ~David Allen

I had a problem with freezer burn when I used the Avent disposable freezer cups, but honestly, the milk was in the freezer for 3 months or more. Had to pitch all out because of lipase problem anyway Never saw freezer burn when using the bags - I use the Medela freezer bags.

Quote Originally Posted by amyped View Post
    I had a problem with freezer burn when I used the Avent disposable freezer cups, but honestly, the milk was in the freezer for 3 months or more. Had to pitch all out because of lipase problem anyway Never saw freezer burn when using the bags - I use the Medela freezer bags.
    Good to know for future reference. I think I'll switch to storage bags with the next baby. Thanks!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

I've got quite a freezer stash that we've just begun to use for the sippy cup at meal times. I use both bottles and bags. I've got about 50 bottles that attach to pump, so I can freeze immediatley after pumping. When those are used up I use the bags. Then I start the process over. I actually prefer the bottle,as the bags I've been using (gerber) leak sometimes. But I just switched to the Lansinoh brand, so we'll see how it goes . . . .
    ~Brandi~

Loving wife to K
    Proud stepmom to B, and proud mom to J and R-A
    and our newest addition C

Happily homeschooling
    Still and and

Ask me about Parkinson's Disease! Visit me at Life With Shaky!