Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pacifier use

Default Pacifier use

My girls never used a pacifier. I always had them suckle at the breast but when DH went to visit Brayden this morning he said they had a pacifier in his mouth. It upsets me to hear that as i don't understand why i can't drain my breasts via pump and let him suckle at the breast. I'm so frustrated with NICU, but i want the best for my baby. Is this the norm? I know that the AAP recommends pacifiers for SIDS, but what about preemies?

Default Re: Pacifier use

they can help them learn how to suck.....
    but if you don't want him to have one get after the nurses!
    have they given you any time line on getting him home?
    Hes got the weight since hes over 5lbs......
    maybe he will not have to be in the hospital long.
    hows pumping going?

I just spoke a lactation consultant and the NICU had me pumping and dumping which totally bummed me out. The LC told me to save that milk for home...there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. So now it's for my own stash. I'm getting 4oz per session. Not too shabby.

Brayden has the weight but he's not doing so well on the breathing and eating on his own. He is so much better today though. I just want to see my baby. I'm fighting a uterine infection and the NICU refuses to let me see him. I've only seen him twice and that was 48 hours ago. I miss my baby.

I'm glad hes doing beter today!
    Thats good!
    Things will get beter quickly I bet and then when you get him home you can do what you like!

4oz of milk is great for a mom with a baby that is 2 days old!
    Keep up the good work!