Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: One step forward...two steps back

Default One step forward...two steps back

This morning my white blood count has doubled. I found out i have an infection in the uterine lining and that is what most likely caused me to rupture. Braydens cultures come back hopefully tonight or tomorrow. I am now hooked back up to IVs and back into bed until we can get this infection under control.

The worst part is the NICU said i can not visit Brayden. My heart sank when they told me. I really feel upset about the whole birth experience esp going under general anesthesia and now i can't even look at my baby. This is by far the most difficult thing i've ever had to deal with in my life. I just want to "be there" for my baby. I have to pump and dump because of the antibiotics. I am just having one bummer of a day!

Brayden had a setback today. They had to up his oxygen to 40%...he has been on room temperature with just the C-Pap expanding his lungs. They have since weaned him back to the 21% so it only worsened temporarily.

I have been one big bawling machine lately. DH and i are just not seeing things eye to eye and he left today to spend some time with the girls. My poor girls have had a rough time. The NICU is very sterile. They are not proactive when it comes to kangaroo care (naked chest to chest) or even breastfeeding. They won't let siblings visit...let alone even look at the baby. It's just hard to explain to my 5 and 2 year old when i can even show the baby even through a glass. Heck, i can't even see him myself. I understand the precautions, but i had this BEFORE i delivered. You know? I don't think i'm being irrational? This is MY baby!!! Argh---so mad here.

I'm feeling pretty good as far as the CS recovery goes. I have some oozing from the wound. Has anyone else had this????

Default Re: One step forward...two steps back

I'm sorry your having a tough time...
    what kind of anti-botics are you on?

Karen J is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I didn't get any oozing, thankfully. I was such a wimp at the time, I couldn't even look at the incision without turning as white as a sheet.

So sorry you've had such a rough day and picked up an infection that is keeping you from your baby's side. I remember worrying over every cough or sneeze when Robert was in the NICU for that very reason. Robert's breathing was all over the place for a couple of months. The morning he was born he was able to breath on his own but, he was too weak to keep it up so he went on the ventilator. Then it was the c-pap untill he caught a blood infection and had to go back onto the vent again. After that, the oxygen levels went up and down for a good while both on the vent and then when he was well enough for c-pap again. The hospital staff told us it was pretty common and to try not to let it get us down. Easy to say, not so easy to do but, it helps to know.

I'm really surprised about the kangaroo care thing. I'll look around online for some info about it and put a link here later today. There are so many benefits from it I'd have thought they would encourage it. If you can get a pile of information and take it to them when they let you into see him again, it should hopefully give you a bit more ammunition if they keep resisting the idea. Getting more about the benefits of breastfeeding will be good too. Even if he can only take it through a tube for now, they should be encouraging you to provide milk for him. It is so much better for them, and a lot easier on their digestion. It's hard having to pump and dump, I had to do that for a bit two and, due to anti-biotics. Try thinking of it as you giving yourself the time to get well but also keeping your body ready and able to provide him with your milk.

Lastly, you're right, you aren't being irrational. He is your baby and you get the final say in everything that happens with him. I think sometimes hospital staff get so used to their usual routines of doing things that they forget to stop every now and then and realise that sometimes they need to be a little more accomodating towards the more human side of the whole NICU thing. Don't let them get you down, you're working so hard for your baby boy and you should be proud of yourself.

You'll get through this, I fell apart at least once a week after Robert was born, but thinking of him gave me the strength to pick myself back up off the floor and keep going every time.

Hope you're getting some rest right now. Keep us updated with how things are going and use this forum as much as you need to, it's a wonderful place and helped me a lot.

Last edited by Karen J; September 7th, 2007 at 08:12 AM.

Karen J is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Here are those links I said I'd dig up for you.

http://www.prematurity.org/baby/index.html#premature

http://www.marchofdimes.com/prematurity/index_nicu.asp

I can't remember if anyone else put this link up for you, so just in case.
    http://www.kellymom.com/