Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: letdown???

Default letdown???

So how can you know your breasts are letting down? I kinda wonder if mine aren't because when I feed I have to massage my milk down so he can empty the whole thing. Is that normal thanks Jessica

Default Re: letdown???

I personally have never felt my letdown, but I hear my LO gulp a lot. I recently read that massaging the breast as they are nursing helps encourage letdown of the hindmilk. So, that is not necessarily a bad thing.

Just make sure your LO is latched on correctly and that he is compressing the milk sinuses.

I'm not sure if this is much help for you...good luck and hang in there!

I feel a kind of throb and pins and needles type of sensation. It can be pretty uncomfortable. Sometimes it happens so randomly too...while washing dishes, in bed at night, etc.

I didn't feel letdown for a while, that's normal.

Everyone describes it differently. My boobs feel firmer during let down and kind'a feels like pressure... idk it's hard to describe. But if you watch/listen to your baby's swallowing you can tell when you're having a let down. When they're actively suck-swallow'ing that's it.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

I love feeling my letdown... it tingles and allows me to know that it's- a- coming. I don't ALWAYS feel it, 80% of the time.
    Proud Mommy to Michael who is 3 now! Michael was nurseynursed for 2 years!!
    I did not make up this persona, but if I did, I would make myself 50 pounds lighter and 5 years younger!!!!

I started feeling letdown around 2 months. I first noticed a tingly feeling in the opposite breast from the one he was nursing on. It happens about 30-60 seconds into our nursing session and I can also tell because Henry starts swallowing a lot more. For me the tingly feeling is on the top part of the breast.

Congrats!

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807

I feel some of my letdowns. it ranges from slight tingly to feeling as though I am getting a shot (injection) and sometimes I don't feel them, I just hear my little one swallowing faster.

When my LO was a newborn and still at the hossy it was a really forceful letdown and it hurt b.c I never felt it with my first.. so I asked the nurse/LC what my boobs were doing and they told me after about the 7/8th month it has gotten alot calmer and I sometimes don't feel it anymore. so hang in there and it will get better but at first it's like what other's have said tingles/injections/throb-pins-n-needles type of feeling. along with feeling the other side letdown rather than the one he is nursing from at the start. At first it lasted almost 2-4minutes now it last anywhere from 30seconds to a minute... so it's totally normal.

my letdown is a tingly feeling in both boobs. i get them constantly thru th day, pbly cause we're still pretty new!

J

thanks so much for all your responses, I do feel a tingly feeling sometimes and I hear him gulping so I guess I am on the right track Thanks Jessica