Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Anyone on Prevacid?

Default Anyone on Prevacid?

So, M was switched to Prevacid today at his 4 month appt. I gave him the first dose, but I did have some questions.

1. When you go to dissolve the pill in the syringe, does it ever completely dissolve? Mine was very grainy, and you could see them floating around. Also, I never got quite all the grains out and into his mouth.

2. If your child has been on Zantac before the Prevacid, did you notice a big change? We have been so reflux-y lately, and I am so hoping this will bring back my sweet baby who was sleeping 8 hours at a time at night!

ETA: ummm....so he was 18lb 15 oz at his appt today. What a moose!

Default Re: Anyone on Prevacid?

Prevacid comes in envelopes. You might want to ask the pharmacist if it's possible to get it that way. You will never fully dissolve it. The little white balls stay little white balls.

Prevacid worked much better than Zantac for us. It also smelled better although dd didn't mind taking either one.

My lo is also 4 mths and has been on Prevacid since 6 weeks of age. She was on 7.5 mg and now takes the whole 15 mg solutab. She was on Zantac for 1 week and it didn't help her that much. The prevacid has saved us the last couple of months, though now she has been worse the last week or two. I dissolve the solutab in breastmilk and I see the little particles floating around. To get all the stuff out of the syringe, I use a cup with water and after giving the meds, I pull up a small amount of water into the syringe and then shake it. Then give it right away. I never notice any leftover in the syringe this way. Check out http://www.momswearingpuke.com/ for lots of info and support. HTH!

DS was on Zantac until he was 5 mos and then switched to Prevacid (liquid from a compounding pharmacy). He didn't start the solutabs until he was 7 mos at which time we just gave them as is to him (did not dissolve in water). He loves them.

There was a HUGE improvement when we switched from Zantac and it happened almost immediately. Proved to us just how ineffective the Zantac was for him. DS still has GER at 17 mos. We have tried taking him off the meds a few times and the symptoms return within a day. On Prevacid he is perfect. Feel free to PM me if you have ????s.

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

We are on prilosec instead of previcid, but they work the same way. Zantac did nothing for the kids. You may want to see if your pharmacy compounds and get the meds in liquid form. The medicine still does not fully dissolve, but at least they can flavor it.
    Nancy
    Mom to Elijah & Audrey 9/19/06
    Twin GERDlings

for 21 mo

We were on Prevacid for about 7 mos (1mo to 8mo). It seemed to work really well for DD. She was really good at taking it, too. Like pps, we were never able to get it to fully dissolve and it seemed that there was alwyas some that did not make it into her mouth, whether it stayed in the syringe or she spit part of it out!
    Robin

So far, no miracle for us. I was so hoping that the reflux was the reason he was waking every hour at night. So I gave him the prevacid last night, and went to bed hoping he would sleep a few hours. NO luck. He was up more than usual! I am still hoping that it just needs to have a few days to work as well as I have heard. I am so tired, I could die. My 2 year old must sense this, because he is taking advantage of my crankiness and has been allowed to watch 2 tv shows already this morning. I just can't fight with him this morning.

I hate to bring bad news but it took almost 2 full weeks before Abby was doing better. After that, things were very good for a long time. She had her dose increased when she was 2 mths old and that took almost 2 weeks before we noticed improvement. Just stick with it!