Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need help with latching on and pumping

Unhappy Need help with latching on and pumping

I have really wanted to breastfeed my baby and the lactation consultant at the hospital told me to use a nipple shield to help my baby latch on to me due to my flat nipples. The baby will only latch on to me with the nipple shield and not to my breast, and this has become very painful now. In my distress, I have purchased a hospital grade pump and have been exclusively pumping and feeding my baby by bottle now. Since my baby is now 2 1/2 weeks old, and I am still unable to get her to latch on to me, is there hope of getting her to latch on still? Between the nipple shield and the bottle feeding, do you think she has nipple confusion? I am currently producing approx. 3 ozs. of milk every 2 hours, but I am also worried that the pump will not be enough to stimulate my breasts and sustain her over the long term. Will 3 ozs. be enough to get her through 4 months? Thanks in advance for your help.

Default Re: Need help with latching on and pumping

I was having to pump and feed by bottle at first too, since my baby was in NICU for a week. I was getting very frustrated as well when she wouldn't take the breast... (see my rant in my thread "ready to throw in the towel"...) She's three weeks old today, and the past two days has gotten much better at latching on... SO - there is hope. you're not alone. Hang in there...

Default Re: Need help with latching on and pumping

Thanks for the feedback and the reference to your other post. I feel better now.