Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Question

Unhappy Question

I am not currently weaning but do have a question about it. DD is just shy of 4 months. She is fairly advanced for her age. She loves standing and is practicing taking steps. She is also teething with those two top front teeth bulging just under the gum surface. Whenever we eat a meal, she protests being left in her bouncy seat even on the floor near the table. She wants to be held on my lap at the table (or even sit or stand or walk on the table). However, relatively recently she has taken a very active interest in the food on our plates. She will sit and stare at the food and last Thursday she tried to grab the honey mustard off my plate!

Now I realize she is too young to introduce solids. We are planning on waiting until she is about 6 months even though she seems anxious to start trying other foods (she has been anxious to do everything since she was about 6 weeks) just to make sure her tummy is as ready to handle them as she seems to be.

However, here is where my question comes in. I quite simply do not like breastfeeding. I don't enjoy it. I don't feel any special bonding through it. I hate doing it in public but do when I have to. I spent 3 months trying to like it and finally decided I don't like it. I'd never consider doing anything else since it is what is best for her but I don't enjoy it. That said, I find myself looking forward to introducing new foods to her and weaning her with foods she seems eager to eat. IF she does really take to solid foods in a couple of months, is it really wicked of me if she weans relatively quickly? I mean, assuming she likes solid foods, if she is weaned by 12 or 14 months, would that hurt her or mean I was denying what is best for her even if I was following her lead?

Am I having an early crisis of conscience and just using my DD's eagerness to try solids?

DD has been wanting and trying to do everything before she can. Is it selfish of me to hope she weans early?
    Katherine
    DD - Cecilia Bernadette - 1/29/06

DD - Felicity Catherine - 11/19/07
    The Whispering Rose

The Journey of a New Life

Default Re: Question

Just the fact that you're doing something that you don't like or enjoy shows that you aren't a selfish person! Other than that I honestly don't know what to say since I love BF, but I can tell you from experiences I regretted weaning my first one. Also my son is been eating solids and he hasn't show any disinterest on my breast, in fact now he help himself to it! There's a book called The Nursing Mother's Guide To Weaning that you might want to read; I haven't read it myself but I do own The Nursing Mother's Companion written by the same author and is very good, perhaps the other book will guide you through the right direction. Whatever you decide to do you gave your daughter a great start! Good luck!!

Whisper,

You are certainly not a "bad mother" for wanting to wean. With regards to the interest in solids, I know my DD was very interested in what we were eating and showing interest in solids at 4 months as well. We waited till 6 months to actually introduce them and it was still slow going. Quite a process to go from breast (or formula) to a variety of foods. I heartily recommend 2 books that I have found essential in the feeding process: "Super Baby Food" by Ruth Yaron and "Child of Mine" by Ellyn Satter. The latter is an excellent book with regard to feeding at any age (from birth to toddlerhood) and has great ideas about how to introduce solids, wean from breastmilk or formula, and all that other stuff. Ruth's book also has good and practical ideas on feeding. Both will emphasize that for the first few months after you introduce solids, your baby will still rely mostly on breast milk or formula for her nutritional needs. I found that CJ wasn't eating 3 "real meals" till almost 9 months even though we started solids at 6.

Hope this helps.

CJ's mama

Whisper,

Have you considered allowing your baby to sit in a high chair and play with baby-safe utensils while you eat? Perhaps you could offer her a "breastmilk slushie" to allow her to *practice* her eating skills?

It's perfectly fine to feel what you are feeling. You're not alone. And you are NOT selfish. I think your actions proove exactly the opposite.

DD hasn't quite mastered her sitting skills, but yes I already keep the high chair by the table! I just have to help hold her up while she is in it right now.

I love the idea about the BM Slushie though. I'll have to try that.

Much thanks.
    Katherine
    DD - Cecilia Bernadette - 1/29/06

DD - Felicity Catherine - 11/19/07
    The Whispering Rose

The Journey of a New Life