Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: PLEASE HELP! friend had baby at 35 wks/needs help

Default PLEASE HELP! friend had baby at 35 wks/needs help

hi all! my best friend just had her baby last night at 35 wks and 5 days. he's 5lbs 1oz.
    i'm going to see her today and she wants answers! i dont have time to search the threads.
    i have no idea about bf'ing a preemie.
    the nurse came and talked to her for 2 min. and just said that she couldnt bf because he's small/can't suck, etc....
    please help me help her!!
    i need to know what questions that she needs to ask, b/c obviously she wont get any info otherwise.
    where can she get a nipple sheild, does she need one of those? does she need to start pumping a little? she didnt even know that they HAVE pumps at the hospital!!!!!!
    i'm leaving in a couple hours, i'd like to have a few answers for her. (i swear, it's like i had a baby myself nd just found out....i'm a freak)
    thank you so much for your quick responses
    Casey, mother to a cuckoo boy
    Guillaume~ a birthday present for his mommy 11~9~06
    still breastfeeding, co-sleeping and cloth diapering

Default Re: PLEASE HELP! friend had baby at 35 wks/needs help

the best thing would be to find the number of your local leader and have her call.
    That way she would have somebody local to work with....
    its possiable for her to breastfeed it just might take a few weeks to get the baby to the breast. mnay don't nurse well untill about thier due date.

heres a good link to print out to take with you or share with her!
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/ma...pply-pump.html

tell her a baby that age might be able to go right to the breast... my dd was born about the time and didn't have to many problems she was just tiny and her mouth was small. I needed extra hands to get her latched on well...

NAK

Mason was 5 weeks early (almost 6) and nursing a premie can be very frustrating (as if learning how to nurse isn't enough of a challenge )

Mason had issues with suck/swallow/breath. What helped us was to supplement with a bottle and have him lay on his side so that the milk from the bottle would drip into his cheek and then he could determine how much he took.

I used a nipple shield that I got from babies r us. They also sell them at target, have her ask if the hospital has a LC there that can help fit her properly (they may also have them). This is really only if she needs it. She really should get to a LC or a LLL meeting for continued support and to help boost her confidence

I pumped to get my milk started because he really wasn't latching and we were using the nipple shield. If she doesn't have access to a electic pump, she can hand express to get stimulation and express colostrum onto a spoon and spoonfeed.

Most importantly tell her that most of these things are temporary, it is hard and there is going to be times when she wants to throw in the towel, but if she can say to herself 'I'll do one more feeding' that might be enough to get her through it. You can give her my email address if you like, just PM me. Send her loads of congrats from us and to you for being such a great friend!!!
    Last edited by surfinrn&mom2mason; September 6th, 2007 at 03:00 PM.

I too had a preemie (7 weeks early) and I wasn't able to actually get her latched on until she was 4 days old. Mostly b/c the nurses in the NICU wouldn't let me but I pumped every two hours RELIGIOUSLY. It took a lot long for my milk to come in with Alex (she was my second) b/c of that fact but I would take every single drop of collostrum and the hospital had these little medicine type syringes and that's what the nurses (and eventually I) would use to feed her. Plus they supplimented with a specially formulated formula (LOL sorry just sounded funny). I had to BEG AND BEG to let me TRY to get her latched on. They didn't really want me to b/c nursing is more work for the little ones and they want to conserve every calorie of energy. Which is understandable. But, once I was finally allowed to try to bf she latched on like a pro. I sat in the NICU just bawling I was so happy. One thing that helped me TREMENDOUSLY was the "My Breast Friend" pillow they had in the NICU. Handling a preemie is so much more difficult than even a newborn and the pillow helped me out - and I was a seasoned nurser. I stopped using it when she was about 2 months old. Good luck and I hope she can get a good LC to help her. I do'nt really understand the nipple shields thing?? I never used them and don't know why having a preemie would be cause to start?

GOOD LUCK! You are a good friend to do this for her.

thank you!
    hopefully she'll be logging on here afer she gets home on saturday as well. then i can relax a little, knowing that she's 'in good hands'
    i'll pass on your great info until then.
    thanks again!!!!
    Casey, mother to a cuckoo boy
    Guillaume~ a birthday present for his mommy 11~9~06
    still breastfeeding, co-sleeping and cloth diapering