Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why are health care professionals so ignorant sometimes?

Default Re: Why are health care professionals so ignorant sometimes?

I've had recurrent plugged ducts and once mastitis in the last few months (DD is now nearly 16 mo), and it was a surprise for me as well. I found there are various things that contribute to the plugged ducts, decreased nursings (especially after an illness period when she was feeding a lot), using the sling (I don't anymore, she's too heavy now), in your case it could be the swimsuit, or maybe you slept in a position where you were putting pressure on your breast?
    What I do now to prevent it, is to feed at least once a day (for naptime) in a different position, as most of our nursings are nighttime, and I regularly check my breasts for signs of blocked ducts. If you spot them early enough, then you can avoid mastitis. I'm sorry about your experience with the ignorant nurse, it's very upsetting when you can't speak up your mind at that very moment, and then regret it, the thing is those stupid comments take us by surprise.

Smile Re: Why are health care professionals so ignorant sometimes?

ugh, how annoying! i actually considered sending some articles on BFing to a pediatritian who i had a bad experience with. the visit was over 2 months ago, and i haven't done it yet. she yelled at me for not feeding my 11 month old solids. she seriously thought i was crazy. oh well. i try to not be angry, and just take it as a sign that i should be helping to educate.
    Jean
    proud mama to ds, born 8/3/06, 11 lbs 14 oz, 24", now 35 lbs, 35", self-weaned at 20 months
    expecting baby boy #2 on 7/21/08, hoping for a VBAC

Quote Originally Posted by Rebe View Post
    It always baffels me how pro-breastfeeding the medical profession pretend to be. It is just crazy. The World health Organization says 2 years is beneficial.
    And so does the American Academy of Family Physicians! It actually goes as far as saying that the child is at increased risk of illness if weaned before age 2.

http://www.aafp.org/online/en/home/p...tionpaper.html

Quote Originally Posted by Maggi94 View Post
    I'm a nurse practitioner and I'm totally mortified that she made a comment like that. Fortunately (as a profession) we're not all clueless!!!!!!

I suggest that you send her some literature on the benefits of extended BF!
    My sister is an NP too and she was telling me recently about how the advice she gives her patients comes from her experience breastfeeding her children (she's a pro and even tandem for a bit) and not from anything she learned in school.
    Last edited by @llli*AllNightDQ; September 13th, 2007 at 12:14 PM.
    Laura, proud vbacing, ecological breastfeeding mommy to four ages 8, 6, 5, and 2. That's Kate nursing her doll, Adam.

The Seven Standards of ecological breastfeeding: (1) exclusive breasfeeding for the first 6 months (2) pacify baby at your breast (3) don't use bottles and pacifiers (4) co-sleep for night feedings (5) take a nursing nap (6) nurse frequently day and night; avoiding schedules (7) avoid practices that restrict nursing or separates you from your baby. The average return of menstruation for ecological breastfeeding mothers is between 14 and 15 months.

My doc told me the other day, "It's neat that you're still breastfeeding."

Neat. Like I wasn't already having trouble dealing with the fact that he looks younger than me?

Oh well, at least he was supportive about it. I feel fortunate about that.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I recently spoke to my OB about trying to conceive again. When she found out I was still nursing (DD is 15mo), she quickly told me I would have to wean her completely before getting pregnant. From what I have read on these boards I don't think that is the case, but I didn't say anything to her. I also get frustrated when I go to my pediatrician and she asks me when I plan to wean. Why does it matter? Shouldn't she be congratulating me and encouraging me to continue?

i certainly hope that future doctors in medical school right now are learning how incredibly magical breastfeeding is so future generations won't have to deal with this BS.
    Jean
    proud mama to ds, born 8/3/06, 11 lbs 14 oz, 24", now 35 lbs, 35", self-weaned at 20 months
    expecting baby boy #2 on 7/21/08, hoping for a VBAC

[QUOTE=EmmaLeigh;290890]I recently spoke to my OB about trying to conceive again. When she found out I was still nursing (DD is 15mo), she quickly told me I would have to wean her completely before getting pregnant. From what I have read on these boards I don't think that is the case, but I didn't say anything to her. [QUOTE]

So ironic because most obs don't give breastfeeding any credit for delaying the return of fertility. If not getting pregnant was that simple I think women would have caught on to it by now.
    Laura, proud vbacing, ecological breastfeeding mommy to four ages 8, 6, 5, and 2. That's Kate nursing her doll, Adam.

The Seven Standards of ecological breastfeeding: (1) exclusive breasfeeding for the first 6 months (2) pacify baby at your breast (3) don't use bottles and pacifiers (4) co-sleep for night feedings (5) take a nursing nap (6) nurse frequently day and night; avoiding schedules (7) avoid practices that restrict nursing or separates you from your baby. The average return of menstruation for ecological breastfeeding mothers is between 14 and 15 months.

Quote Originally Posted by EmmaLeigh View Post
    I recently spoke to my OB about trying to conceive again. When she found out I was still nursing (DD is 15mo), she quickly told me I would have to wean her completely before getting pregnant. From what I have read on these boards I don't think that is the case, but I didn't say anything to her. I also get frustrated when I go to my pediatrician and she asks me when I plan to wean. Why does it matter? Shouldn't she be congratulating me and encouraging me to continue?
    Well - here's an update for you... and it ties to your comment, EmmaLeigh. I just found out I'm pregnant (with #4 - BIG GULP!) We were not trying (but also not taking any artificial birth control either). I sort of think that the recent bfing problems might have been related to this. Not sure. Anyway, wish me luck. I'm pretty freaked out right now...
    Mary - mom to Gabriela (3.20.99), Steven (5.17.01) and Sofia (3.20.06)

I hate to say this, but I've had several similar comments from health professionals. My lo is 18 months and my health visitor does not support continuing to b'feed her, and seems to have no useful advice to give. Lo has multiple food allergies and both health visitor and dietician want me to add formula to food/get her to drink more formula (she must have the 'magic' 1 pint!). GP suggested there was no point feeding past 6 months as I had gained all the health benefits. OK, so I'm in the UK and I think health professionals here need COMPLETELY re-educating about the benefits of breastfeeding long term. It's a good job I know the facts and am so determined to continue. All I can suggest is that we try to promote b'feeding as much as possible and correct/present health professionals with the facts where necessary. My way forward is that I've decided to become a 'peer support' breastfeeding councillor, that way I can support new mums and continue to give them support when needed.

Sue