Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why are health care professionals so ignorant sometimes?

Angry Why are health care professionals so ignorant sometimes?

Here is my vent. On Monday night this week, I started to feel like I was getting a clogged duct/mastitis. It was surprising to me b/c DD is 17 months old and I really thought clogged ducts was something you only get when you have a ton of milk.

Anyway, I tried the warm compresses, having the baby latch on and nurse, in all sorts of positions, etc, but I wasn't getting better so I went to the doctor yesterday. So I could get in right away, they had me see the nurse practitioner. Her first question after I explained what was wrong was "how old is the baby?" Looking back now, I wish I would have said, "what does that have to do with anything?" But I simply answered, "17 months." She was like, "Wow. Then it's time for you to stop BFing!" I wish I would've said, "Well, I think it's time for you to educate yourself because the AAP recommends breastfeeding for the first 2 years!" But I actually just said , "uh-huh." which is what I say when someone gives me advice that I have no intention of following, but have no interest in getting into a debate with them.

So anyway, I got the antibiotics I needed. But I still feel this huge hard lump and I'm wondering if anyone else who is BFing a baby over 1 year old has had this? (I only nurse at night, and don't really get that "full breast" feeling ever, so I just have no idea how this happened??)
    Last edited by mbelee10; September 6th, 2007 at 12:42 PM.
    Mary - mom to Gabriela (3.20.99), Steven (5.17.01) and Sofia (3.20.06)

Default Re: Why are health care professionals so ignorant sometimes?

like stopping nursing cold turkey would help that one,
    Did you get a new bra that is putting pressure on that area of the breast?

sorry about the ignorance you had to deal with!! I agree with the new bra possibly causing the problem. I just recently had a problem that I couldn't explain. The PA-C told me it wasn't thrush bc there was no shininess (I know not everyone has a shiny breast when they have thrush), she said that you don't HAVE to have a fever or flu like symptoms w/mastitis (though I've never heard of anyone having mastitis w/o feeling sick) and insisted that it was a clogged duct. Sent me for an ultrasound where they found no such clogged duct. I still don't know what the problem was though because it went away on it's own Anyway, she's the medical professional yet she didn't seem to know what she was talking about

I hope you feel better soon

What a doe-doe bird!! Sorry you had to listen to her! I'm sorry I don't have any advice about the breast issue.. Hope it gets better soon!
    Betsy
    mama to:
    N 5/03
    J 6/07

You might drop some info off at the office for her about bfing beyond a year. Even though you were stunned (as I would have been, too), another mom might have actually listened to her decree. Ignorant health professionals make me so angry!

Thanks guys

(Andrea) No new bra, but I did spend a lot of time in a swimsuit this past (Labor Day) weekend. The suits didn't have underwire and I don't think they were too tight, but maybe just the change in my breast positioning caused it??? good point!
    Mary - mom to Gabriela (3.20.99), Steven (5.17.01) and Sofia (3.20.06)

I got a nasty clogged duct and milk bleb, resulting in an even nastier infection, when my DD was about 14 mos. old, and I was surprised too!
    Keep taking extra measures to empty it out and I hope you're feeling better soon.
    I would not have stood mute at that doctor's comment! I think I would have asked her if she was serious and probably worse.
    When I had my infection I got that question too, but they made no comment when I answered.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

It always baffels me how pro-breastfeeding the medical profession pretend to be. It is just crazy. The World health Organization says 2 years is beneficial. That nurse needs to read up on that.
    Hope your mastitis goes away quick. Sorry I have no advice.

yeah the swimming suit might have been the problem.
    I sure hope you are fealing beter soon!

I'm a nurse practitioner and I'm totally mortified that she made a comment like that. Fortunately (as a profession) we're not all clueless!!!!!!

I suggest that you send her some literature on the benefits of extended BF!