Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Too early for solids?

Default Re: Too early for solids?

Thanks for all the advice! It is so great to have a place to get advice and support for my DD !

I have decided that some of the slow weight gain may be due to a low milk supply. I have made the commitment to try to up my supply, before going to solids. I feel like I will re-evaluate in a month. I have rented a hospital grade pump, taking more herbal supplements, drinking my water, and making sure not to skip pumping at work.

At worst, she is getting enough now, and I can just freeze what I have in access.... I would rather have too much that not enough.

Will post my progress in a month! Thanks again for all the great advice and support!

Lindsey
    Mom of Madeline 9.19.05

LLLJacqui is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

More things you can do to increase supply... eat oatmeal and drink dark beer. My friend swore by those two things alone! Also, have you tried the Mother's Milk Tea?

Jacqui

Hi,

We just had R's four-month check-up, and our pediatrician also recommended starting solids. They must base this on age, not size, since Robert is big (19 lbs. 2 oz). He shows the signs of being ready for solid food, but then he's been avidly watching anyone who is eating for months now. It must be because food is so important in our family.

I expressed so much hesitation about starting solids that the doctor said waiting is fine too. Right now I think we'll wait until he is five months. I still have some doubts but we'll see how things look in a month.

Thanks for reading this!

Trisha

phxmom I will say I use fenugreek and blessed thistle and drink one dark beer a day. I also eat oatmeal almost every morning. I too had a lowish supply but now seem to be doing good at 5.5m and pump one extra bottle a day since I am still at home for another month or so until I dreadfully have to go back to work. Keep up the pumping I too am still renting the hosp grade pump. I would suggest if you plan to have more it is almost cheaper to buy one as I have already spent over $800 in rental and will likely continue to rent the next 6mo but I am unlikely to have another baby.

Also I cannot say from my experience but my best friends little formula fed boy was always in the 10th % in weight and 25% in height and still is. Her little girl on the other hand who was 6w early is in the 100% in both and both her kids are formula fed. She and dh are both on the shorter side.

Did you say how often you are bf? Kick in a few more sessions maybe??

Red face Re: Too early for solids?

I am being pressured by in-laws, my parents, my baby's father, and other mothers to start my 3 month old daughter on solids. I want to breastfeed exclusively for the first 6 months of her life (at least) but i have to constanly face the looks and comments of those who have thier 2 and 3 week olds on mashed potatoes!!! What is the best way to handle this without offending anyone?

Hello, Even though every one says start your baby on solids I didn't. Baby's tummy is not ready yet. Plus the ability to shove food from front to back has not developed yet. I waited to feed my son till he was 6 months. Than I just feed him mashed bananas. I waited a couple days to see if he was okay than feed him again. Babys that can't sit up on there own have a hard time eating food, I've noticed with my son anyway. Mandy