Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too early for solids?

Default Too early for solids?

I just got back from the pedi., and she wants me to start with rice cereal for my 4 month old. My daughter has just turned 4months, but is pretty small (11lbs, 2oz). She has been exclusively breast feed, and I wasn't planning on solids until 6 months. She is very healthy otherwise-- i.e. great head control, alert, reaching, laughing, talking, etc. She doesn't have those signs that she wants to start with solid foods, but I am concerned with her weight. I don't produce a large amount of milk. I really have been just able to keep up with her, even with pumping. This is my first, and I am just not sure if I should take the pedi advise and start with the solids, or if I should wait another month or so, and see if my daughter starts showing signs of wanting to eat food. I am scared that she will start to become malnourished. HELP! I need some advice!!
    Thanks, Phxmom

Default Re: Too early for solids?

What was your dd's lowest weight? About how many wet/dirty diapers per 24 hrs?

Here is the LLL FAQ on starting solids:
    www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/solids.html

The American Academy of Pediatrics' Policy Statement on breastfeeding says:

"Exclusive breastfeeding is sufficient to support optimal growth and development for approximately the first 6 months of life..."

And more specificly:

"Introduction of complementary feedings before 6 months of age generally does not increase total caloric intake or rate of growth and only substitutes foods that lack the protective components of human milk."

You can find the full text of the article here:
    http://aappolicy.aappublications.org...rics;115/2/496

If you think about it, the last point makes sense. Mature human milk averages about 22 calories per ounce. Most commercial baby foods average about 10-20 calories per ounce.

What is dd?? She has been in the 25th percentile (I hate the percentile game-- drives me crazy) for height and weight since birth. The last appointment (4 month) was 11 lbs 2 ou. This dropped her to the 10th percentile for weight, and she is still in the 25th for height.

Also, I would like to see a lactation consultant. Does anyone have a strong recommendation for the Phoenix area?

Would a few ounces of formula be better than the rice cereal, just to pack on some lbs?

I am really not ready for solids, but again, obviously concerned about her weight.

Thanks, PHXMOM

Oh, and the diapers-- She has usually one very dirty diaper every other day, and she has about 6-7 wet diapers a day, pretty clear fluid. Thanks, PHX MOM

Hi Phxmom,
    Are you concerned that your dd (short for dear daughter!) is not gaining enough overall or has she fallen back in growth? At this age, the best indicator of her health is a steady growth. Is she gaining at every visit? Length and height? The fluctuations in breastfed babies bowel movements at your dd's age is very great. Some have several bm's a day, some have one a day, some one every couple of days (like your dd) and some go for days with a bm. If she was going a very long time without a bm and was losing weight...that would be a problem. But if the weight gain is steady and she has all other signs of being healthy (that you already listed) then I'm sure she is doing great on your milk. You will produce what she needs if she is growing, seems healthy and satisfied after feedings and she is fed on cue.

Just curious, what was her birth weight? And are you and your husband small-ish people? My girls have had identical weights so far, so I just pulled out my older daughter's baby book.

Birth: 6 lbs. 6.5 oz.
    2 days: 5 and 15
    5 days: 6
    5.5 weeks: 8 and 10
    9.5 weeks: 10 and 9
    4 months: 12 and 2
    In a nutshell, my girls did not triple their birth weight by one year. (More like 18 months!)

This is ditto for my second daughter, almost to the ounce. They were little and full term. They have been petite babies. They are now petite little girls and finding jeans ("because Mom, big girls don't wear leggings!-the only thing that used to fit them were Gymboree leggings because they were so narrow) has been a nightmare. My 3-year-old now weighs 28 pounds and my 4.5 year-old weighs 33 pounds. I am 5' 2" and dh 5' 6" and very slight. As a little girl my mother had to take tucks in my SLIM pants...not a problem for me anymore but you see where I am going. She is her own person and not every baby or person is the same. This is all anecdotal, but you can see that babies come in all sizes...even exclusively bf babies!

If you think she is ok and weight gain is steady, then I bet she is fine!

As far as supplementing formula as opposed to solids, you could certainly offer to nurse her more. But I think she is setting her weight and her food needs herself. She does not sound malnourished to me at all!

If you feel you would like to consult an IBCLC, you could find a local LLL Leader and she could get you more information. It might help to chat with a local Leader anyway. And going to meetings is a great way to get ideas from other moms!
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/leaderinfo.html

Take care!

It seems most moms hear one of the two following things:
    1) Your baby is too small, he/she needs to start solids because your milk is not adequate (as baby is small and must not be getting enough)
    2) Your baby is too big and he/she needs to start solids because your milk is not adequate (as baby is big and must need more than your milk)

Jolie provided some excellent links; even the AAP supports starting solids the middle of the first year.

LLLJacqui is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

It's also important to remember that many pediatricians get their information from formula companies and not the AAP... or any other organization that knows the facts about bf-ing. It's VERY common for pediatricians to push cereal at 4 months, even if your child is not showing any signs of being ready for it.

Personally, I think it's too early... even if your DD is small. It's also important to know that the charts that most doctors use to determine whether your child is small or big are based on formula fed infants and not bf infants. If you want to see a chart more in line with bf-ing infants, look at the Kellymom site: http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...ight-gain.html

For more great info about delaying solids, see the Kellymom site again at:

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/index.html

And the Dr. Sears site at:

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/T030500.asp

Jacqui

I have an 8month old who just hit 16pounds! Your baby is doing just fine on the food that God made for her. As long as she is wetting enough, stool diapers ect and happy and healthy, she is fine. Even now at 8 months he only has a few bites of homemade food here and there... Some days not even that. The great thing about bf feeding is that it is the perfect food for at least the first year and beyond, no supplements needed.. Happy nursing!

My son, who is now 22 months, is off the charts for weight and has been since he was about 6 months. He started dropping when I introduced solids so I am not convinced solid food has anything to do with weight gain. I am happy he always gains even if it is a just a bit, he is always growing height wise(he grew almost 5 inches in 6 months), he is healthy and energetic, and he is meeting developmental milestones. He is still only 23.8 pounds but I was tiny as a child too as was my brother. The doctor is concerned about his weight but as long as he is healthy, happy and energetic I don't think being skinny is hurting him. The other thing to note is that the charts are based on formula fed infants(who tend to weight more than breastfed infants) and so see if you can track down a chart for breastfed infants on the net. It really gave me a different perspective on things. Oh and in regards to starting solids it is a personal choice but many of my friends have not noticed a change in weight gain after solids with their kids either and sometimes starting too early can push back thieir desire until an even later date.

I have read the responses and boy did you get some good advice. I would take it all in, digest it, and come up with a solution that YOU and DD are comfortable with. Good Luck!