Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Please Help!!! New mom with questions!

Default Please Help!!! New mom with questions!

My daughter was a month old yesterday. Nursing seems very hard to me. I'm not giving up even though sometimes I feel like it. I have a large milk supply (pumping for 10 minutes on each breast and was producng about 10 oz. between both) and before I knew this was feeding her 10 minutes on each breast, she would scream after eating until she burped, spit up or had a BM. Which was understandable. So I talked to a lactation consultant and she told me to feed her on one side until she pulled off. I have been doing that, but she still seems gassy, or like she isn't happy. I had taken her to the doctor because I thought she might have a form of acid reflux (her dad has this) and they prescribed me Prevacid just in case changing her feedings didn't work. I gave her the Prevacid yesterday for the first time and she seemed to do better yesterday, but this morning she acted as if she really wasn't hungry. She only ate for about 5 minutes and she pulled off. I burped her and tried to put her back on but she wanted nothing to do with it. Then she burped like 4 more times and spit up too!!!! I just don't know what to do to make her happy while eating....I feel like I'm failing. Please give any advice you have!!! Thanks so much everyone!!!

Default Re: Please Help!!! New mom with questions!

Sounds like you are doing fine! Babies are just gassy and they spit up and they burp and they cry sometimes. Dealing with oversupply is a bit of a pain in the beginning, but it does get better.

Are you pumping regularly or is that just a one time thing? Just keep in mind that the more milk you take out, the more your body will produce (supply and demand), so pumping when you don't have to or too much can add to the problem.

Here's some info about oversupply and some ideas about how to deal with it. There are also links to the other things you describe here. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html

Give yourself some time. You'll get it figured out eventually. DS had to be burped multiple times, he spit up very often, and sometimes in the early weeks he cried b/c he was gassy and we had to help him work the gas out of his body. He's now a very happy bfing 19 mo and doesn't have any of those issues anymore. Hang in there! You're giving your baby the best!

Sounds like normal tiny baby behavior. My dd was a champion spitter- she'd nurse and then soak everything in a three foot radius, and then start over again. I felt like all I did was clean up spit up. Then she hit the 12 week mark and... no more spit up. It was like someone had swapped babies with me. Just hang in there. One month is tiny still, and that little tummy has a lot of growing to do.
    Rachel

Mama to my precious girls, Abigail and Naomi

"When we consider that women are treated as property, it is degrading to women that we should treat our children as property to be disposed of as we see fit." - Elizabeth Cady Stanton in a letter to Julia Ward Howe, October 16, 1873. Recorded in Howe's diary at Harvard University Library.

Quote Originally Posted by mamacat View Post
    Sounds like normal tiny baby behavior. My dd was a champion spitter- she'd nurse and then soak everything in a three foot radius, and then start over again. I felt like all I did was clean up spit up. Then she hit the 12 week mark and... no more spit up. It was like someone had swapped babies with me. Just hang in there. One month is tiny still, and that little tummy has a lot of growing to do.
    Totally agree with her!!! just hand in there you're doing great.

You're doing so well! Everything you are describing is normal. Babies aren't always going to eat for exactly the same amount of time, just like adults don't always eat the same amount of food at each meal. 5 minutes is plenty of time for some babies to get enough milk. And remember her tummy is tiny and can probably only handle a couple of ounces at a time.

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807

you're not alone

While I don't have your amazing milk supply (wow I thought my typical 6 oz pump was good!) I know all about the inconsistency of nursing. DS is 5 1/2 weeks, and every day it is a mystery! In fact I was talking to a friend today and we were commenting that every day is totally new, and that even if you have a bad day you don't have to fret because the next day will probably be totally different in some way or another. Hang in there, and know you're not alone!

J

Quote Originally Posted by myheart View Post
    I gave her the Prevacid yesterday for the first time and she seemed to do better yesterday, but this morning she acted as if she really wasn't hungry. She only ate for about 5 minutes and she pulled off. I burped her and tried to put her back on but she wanted nothing to do with it. Then she burped like 4 more times and spit up too!!!!
    If your LO does have reflux, the Prevacid will take a week or 2 to really kick in. (We take Axid for our reflux issue) The constant nursing or eating is normal for babies w/reflux b/c the BM has an antiacid quality to it and sucking/drinking is soothing to the reflux baby. Not wanting to eat as much is normal b/c she's not eating to soothe then...just if she is hungry. The spit up may have been b/c of over eating due to soothing/sucking.

Hang in there. It gets better once the meds kick in. My LO is 4mo and is doing really well w/eating and the reflux is going away but we're continuing on the Axid until she outgrows it all.

Thank you all so much for your help...you all really made me feel better! We had a very long night last night...she was up all night hysterical until about 6:30 this morning ....I guess I just need to take it one day at a time. I know I am still having issues with over supply..she is still gulping and choking when I feed her. I read that I just need to go longer on the one breast. I was doing the same breast for 2 hours, but I'm gonna up it to every 3 hours and see how that works. Once again thanks so much! You are really appreciated!

Lucy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by myheart View Post
    I read that I just need to go longer on the one breast. I was doing the same breast for 2 hours, but I'm gonna up it to every 3 hours and see how that works. Once again thanks so much! You are really appreciated!

Lucy!!!
    This made all the difference in the world with us. I would blockfeed for 2 feedings then switch, it really helped with OALD which was making DS gag. It took about 2 weeks for my body to realize what we were doing and adjust but after that DS spit up less and didn't get as fussy on the breast. Keep it up, it will get easier!

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies