Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 2 week old not latching??

Default 2 week old not latching??

Hi all, my son is 2 weeks old today and was 12lbs 4.8 ozs when he was born. I started breast feeding right away but due to low blood sugar he had to have a bottle first then we went to breast feeding, but he was on a IV as well. Then we got home and he was eating good but he always seemed hungry so finally after I was completely empty and he was screaming because he was hungry we went and got formula and a pump on Monday. We just gave him bottles at night and he seemed to be doing so good latching during the day but this morning he wouldn't latch and kept pulling away so after a hour of him crying I gave him a bottle of breast milk I had pumped and he was fine. So now I am afraid he wont latch again, if anyone has any suggestions that would be great. Thanks so much Jessica

Default Re: 2 week old not latching??

Congrats on your LO!!

My suggestion would be to get your baby to the breast as much as possible... that way your body will up its supply of milk for your son (so he will be "satisfied") and he can get the latch back. Sometimes introducing a bottle too early causes nipple confusion... if you're concerned that he won't latch back on, try some skin to skin contact and lots of cuddling, he'll get back there. Also, have you tried contacting a lactation consultant? Your hospital might have one.

Keep up the good work, mama!

Do a search for this post from yesterday...the article link appears below. Also see if you can meet with a LC or a LLL leader.

An interesting article on Biological Nurturing-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6612573.stm
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

Thanks for the responses, but I have another question: Can I still give him a bottle or should I stop the bottles all together? Will he be ok doing that or will he be starving? Also he eats really speratic for example he'll eat every 1 or 2 then stop and not eat for 5-6 hours then want to eat for hours is that ok? or should I be waking him to eat on a schedule? Thanks so much. I am also seeing a LC tomorrow so that should help but till then I just wanted to see what you ladies suggested. Jessica

I am a firm believer in no schedules - at least where feeding is concerned.

Feed your baby "on demand", never try to space the feedings further apart or any of that.

It's quite possible that the best thing you can do is stop using the bottle. Just contine to BF on demand and everything should work out.

~*Allee*~

Damon 8/5/99 Heaven 7/24/01 Jasmine 7/20/07