Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help! I have to take an antibiotic and stop BF'ing

Default Help! I have to take an antibiotic and stop BF'ing

I have a tooth problem and my dentist prscribed and antibiotic that I need to start taking and while taking it I can't breastfeed. So, I can't breastfeed for 11 days. What should I do?

Default Re: Help! I have to take an antibiotic and stop BF'ing

I had a foot surgery and the first dr told me a similar story. So I started calling till I found a surgeon who knew of a substitute medication I could take and continue breast feeding.

I would double check that you actually do need to stop breastfeeding with what the dentist has prescribed. I have had a ton of work done on my teeth in the past couple of weeks (including root canals - ugh!) and I took penicilin, vicadin, and ibprofin while nursing. I asked my dentist whether or not it was safe for nursing and he had NO IDEA!!!! At least he was honest and told me to call my OB/GYN. So it is possible that the dentist may have been mistaken about the antiobiotic he/she is prescribing.

Here's where I checked out the meds I took:
    http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/...ml#Antibiotics

Here's one with information on dental work in general:
    http://www.kellymom.com/health/illness/dentalwork.html

So, hopefully the doctor was wrong and you won't have to stop breastfeeding. If the dentist wasn't wrong, is it possible to wait on treatment so you can pump and build a back supply?
    Good luck!

What is the name of the antibiotic? You (or a Leader or HCP) can look it up specifically in Thomas Hale's book, Medications and Mothers' Milk to find out more information and then decide what to do.
    How old is your baby?

Mary