Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breastfeeding and fasting

Default Breastfeeding and fasting

My Lo is 9 months old and i breastfeed her 3-4 times a day. The Holy month of Ramadhan is approaching, where muslims are required to fast i.e. keep away from food and water from dawn to dusk. Will my milk supply decrease if i fast? Any advice from the more experienced mums? Thanx

Default Re: Breastfeeding and fasting

Does the Muslim faith offer any guidance for you? I know that back before the 1960s when Catholics were required to fast during Lent pregnant and breastfeeding moms were not required to do so as well. Surely you are not the first mom facing this. I do think that if you're eating after dusk that water intake is your most important concern.
    Laura, proud vbacing, ecological breastfeeding mommy to four ages 8, 6, 5, and 2. That's Kate nursing her doll, Adam.

The Seven Standards of ecological breastfeeding: (1) exclusive breasfeeding for the first 6 months (2) pacify baby at your breast (3) don't use bottles and pacifiers (4) co-sleep for night feedings (5) take a nursing nap (6) nurse frequently day and night; avoiding schedules (7) avoid practices that restrict nursing or separates you from your baby. The average return of menstruation for ecological breastfeeding mothers is between 14 and 15 months.

Quote Originally Posted by all night DQ View Post
    that water intake is your most important concern.

I don't have a source right now - but in Judaism there is an exemption from fasting for medical situations. Even before having a LO I had been told by my doctor to NOT do a complete fast for Yom Kippur after I had a scary bad experience doing a total fast.

Last year at Yom Kippur DS was 2 mo old - I ate a reduced amount and drank plenty of water and rested. This year I'll also do the same.

The kellymom.com link that is posted above includes a link to the following:

http://www.islamonline.net/English/r...h/fiqh62.shtml
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Christians who fast (not many do) also have an exemption for pregnant and nursing moms.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanne View Post
    Christians who fast (not many do) also have an exemption for pregnant and nursing moms.
    I'm Catholic and I don't fast on the Holy days when pg or nursing.
    ~Brandi~

Loving wife to K
    Proud stepmom to B, and proud mom to J and R-A
    and our newest addition C

Happily homeschooling
    Still and and

Ask me about Parkinson's Disease! Visit me at Life With Shaky!

I have done fasting when nursing and I do drink water and keep away from food.But I did that after my daughter turned 1 and I was working away from home during day time.But mine was just 6 days.Maybe u'r mom or somebody from family will know how they handled it.But the fasting gives me so much energy and I felt very refreshed at the end of day.

Thanks
    Mangai

I found this interesting link that may help you.

http://www.afghan-network.net/Cultur...dan/Intro.html

Here is another

http://atheism.about.com/library/FAQ...am_ramadan.htm

Hope they help.

I had a hindi friend who was exempt from fasting during pregnancy, menstruation, and breastfeeding. Perhaps there is a similar exemption in your faith? Have you spoken to a religious leader about it?

If you do fast, make sure you drink plenty of water!!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous