Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Express & Feed

Default Express & Feed

Anyone else tempted to go for this option? I am so sick of having one engorged breast as my DD only feeds from one side each time. I have to pump a couple of times at night to feel comfortable. I'm seriously considering pumping and feeding so that it's easier to regulate my milk supply.

Any advice?

Default Re: Express & Feed

Unfortunately pumping isn't going to help you regulate your supply. It just seems that way because you feel like you are controlling how much milk is taken out, seeing what is coming out gives you that feeling, right? Keep in mind that as your baby goes through growth spurts and gets older, your breasts will need to increase their supply eventually anyway. Having a large supply may be a headache right now, but sooner than you think it will all be needed. Can I ask how old your baby is? How long you have you been feeling uncomfortable for, and what have you tried to alleviate the discomfort so far?

Pumping and bottle feeding seem like a good solution until you remember that
    all milk is produced by a simple but effective measure. Supply and demand, The more frequent and thoroughly you drain the breast (nurse or pump) the more you send the signal to boost production. Simply put, pumping will not solve your dilemma.
    Removing only enough milk to relieve a swollen breast as well as block feeding may help you. Some women are naturally able to produce more milk, and find it more troublesome than others.

We look forward to more detailed information
    -s
    Last edited by carpentergirl; September 6th, 2007 at 04:10 AM.

Thanks for the reply - really appreciate the advice. My DD is 3 weeks old (my first child). I know she is still very young but I have been experiencing breast discomfort since my milk came in on the 3rd day after birth. It seems like my breasts refill faster than my DD needs it. So one side always seems to be engorged. Recently I suffered blocked milk ducts on both sides and it was AGONY. Luckily it is clearing up now after doing warm compress and nursing immediately after.

Everyone keeps telling me the first few weeks are hell and it gets better after that but I'm afraid I wont make it past next week and I'm starting to get depressed about the whole BF thing! I feel guilty for not enjoying BF... but I still want my DD to have my milk. Feel like such a failure

Breastfeeding was so hard for me in the beginning! You and your daughter are learning about something completely new at a time when your hormones are doing crazy things, you're recovering from childbirth and you are no doubt very tired. Add to this you have a precious, new person in your care! It's okay to be feeling overwhelmed--I think many of us have been in your shoes. I had oversupply and it does get better! It takes time, though. I agree with pp, exclusive pumping isn't your answer. And, since a breast pump isn't as effective at removing milk as nursing, you actually run a greater risk of plugged ducts (plus the fact that in the long run it's a lot more work.)

When you are feeling engorged, it's important to just take off enough milk to make yourself feel comfortable. Once you get beyond that point, your body thinks your baby needs the milk and continues to produce more. It might take a while to get your production to slow, but it will. I have found that it's easier for me to make myself comfortable using hand expression. Here's a link about how to do it if you're interested. It takes some practice, so be patient. http://www.lactationinstitute.org/MANUALEX.html

Here's some info on milk production. Right now it's largely hormonally driven and that's part of the reason why your body is making more milk than your lo needs. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/milkproduction.html

Keep in mind that breastfeeding is a relationship and you aren't going to enjoy it all the time and that's okay! I doubt there is any relationship that doesn't have it's rocky moments. Hang in there!