Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 3-4 breast habit

Default 3-4 breast habit

My week old little girl has been doing "never-ending feedings" for the past few days. They last anywhere from 1 1/2 hour to 2 hours long, she'll go from right to left to right to left. She falls asleep at the breast (she seems sleepy there most of the time) but when she falls asleep & lets go, she'll fuss to be put back on. If I try to put her down after even 3 times, sometimes she'll freak.

She seems to have a good latch, at least my nipples haven't been TOO sore...When I check, it seems like she's emptied the breast some/maybe even most of the time (at least there's nothing when I squeeze.) Any ideas/help about what might be happening or what might help? Right now I'm just trying to keep up. I haven't been pumping at all. I ordered a hand-pump today. Not sure if it'll help

Any help appreciated...

A sleepy mom

P.S. Can someone tell me what DD, DH, DS stand for? I feel like I've missed something...

Default Re: 3-4 breast habit

Quote Originally Posted by nadia'smama View Post
    P.S. Can someone tell me what DD, DH, DS stand for? I feel like I've missed something...
    I was confused until I found the abbreviations page.. DD- darling daughter, DH- darling husband, DS- darling son

It sounds to me like your baby is starting a first and extremely important growth spurt. What you are going through is called cluster feeding, and wow is it hard on momma! Look forwards to a week or so of this activity. In general the more frequent a baby nurses in the beginning, the prouder you ought to feel. You have a baby that obviously loves to eat and is actively trying to engage in the behavior. What a good baby! What a great mama!
    have you tried side lying nursing positions yet? Use a pillow behind your back to lean back away from baby, and you may need to elevate your breast and nipple to the correct height for baby. I used a receiving blanket. I also used the breast closest to the surface I was lying on. It made a huge difference in my exhaustion level, and enabled me to keep up with my babies increased need for calories. I wouldn't bother with pumping right now.

It's totally normal and healthy, and should subside once the growth spurt is over (until the next one).

I had a baby that was like that constantly for the first 4 months. She was in perpetual growth spurt mode (or it at least felt like it). The best thing we found was to just stay in bed, nurse in a side-lying position, and keep a pile of snacks and bottles of water within easy reach. DH took over cooking for us, and I napped in bed with her pretty much all day. Getting to sleep with baby really does wonders for the exhaustion, and baby can eat to her heart's delight.
    Rachel

Mama to my precious girls, Abigail and Naomi

"When we consider that women are treated as property, it is degrading to women that we should treat our children as property to be disposed of as we see fit." - Elizabeth Cady Stanton in a letter to Julia Ward Howe, October 16, 1873. Recorded in Howe's diary at Harvard University Library.