Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: what SHOULD my 11 month old be eating?

Default what SHOULD my 11 month old be eating?

My LO is 11 months old, he's a big guy, BF's a lot still, every morning he has his whole oats with some sort of fruit, like peaches or blueberries.
    I make him this mix of zuchhini, onion,sweet potato, peas, parsley ..I stew it and blend it till its chunky. He usually eats that for dinner,
    I don't know if this is strange, but we don't give him anything to chew on, like toast or larger pieces of food, he only has 1.5 teeth and I guess I'm scared that he won't chew his food. Should I maybe start giving him banana chunks to get him to start chewing on food? He eats really chunky oatmeal, so I know he can mulch a bit. I feel like i'm behind of the solids...
    also is the Iron fortified cereal nessesary? I tried the oatmeal baby food, the one you mix with BM or juice or water and its YUCKY! so I just make him oatmeal.
    he hasn't had any sort of egg product, any meat, and he hasn't had any dairy.
    is this okay? maybe I should start adding beans before I give him meat.

-Feeling behind!!! am I the only one?

Smile Re: what SHOULD my 11 month old be eating?

We are in the same boat. My LO is 11 months and eats:

Jared Earth's Best organics:
    sweet potato
    butternut squash
    carrots
    pears
    prunes (Gerber)
    apples and something else mixed in
    stage 3 soups (I can't rember the flavors)
    lintels and rice dinner
    turkey and veggie dinner
    chicken and pasta dinner

Fresh cooked finger foods:
    peas - #1 favorite food
    carrots
    sweet potatos
    Noodles (spirial pasta) - #2 favorite

Fresh Raw finger foods:
    bananas
    apples
    peaches
    blueberries
    pears
    Organic Oat O (cereal)

We also use feed oatmeal made with breastmilk.

Hope this helps.
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

Default Re: what SHOULD my 11 month old be eating?

Molars are what are really used for chewing, and most babies don't get those until they are older (Super-Nora aside ). We offer Daniel mostly finger foods, and have been since he started solids at a little older than 6 months.

As for iron-fortified. I give a great big NO. :refuse The baby cereals may be "full" of iron, but its not in an easilly digested form. We offer whole grains, such as oatmeal as you do. We offer beans and lentils high in iron. And we offer vitamin C with the iron-rich food. Vitamin C helps iron be absorbed. Dairy blocks iron-absorbtion, so when you do introduce dairy, try to offer them seperately.

At Daniel's 9 month check up his iron was great!! I attribute that the planning his foods well and giving him REAL food! No baby cereals OR Vitamin drops!

Lyn
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

My DD just turned 1 yr and she has four teeth and eats quite a bit of variety. I was worried about giving her more solids like you, but it is amazing how much they can mush down with their jaws. Their teeth are just under the gums and it makes a very hard surface, you might want to feel your LO's to see if it feels like that.

My LO didn't get her upper two teeth until about 2 1/2 months ago and then I started adding pieces of chicken, which she loves. Beans might be a good start for your LO. I haven't found one that my LO didn't like. She eats them all!

And I'd imagine your LO could mush up bananas very well. Like I said, feel the gums and see if they feel hard.

As far as cereal, my LO won't touch any of it. If it is that mushy, she won't eat it. She wants to be in charge of what goes in her mouth. If she can't pick it up herself, I get the "No!" headshake pretty quickly.

Don't feel bad about maybe not giving your LO what you see others on the board eating at the same age. I'd be the same way if mine only had 1.5 teeth. If you want, start adding things like bananas and see how that goes, then go up the chain of foods that need to be mushed up.

It sounds like you are doing good to me!
    Our blessings from God!
    Kylee was born September, 2006 - 9 lbs. 12 1/2 oz, 21 inches long.
    Kiefer was born January, 2008 - 6 lbs. 14 oz, 19 1/2 inches long.
    He was diagnosed with a severe peanut allergy at 12 1/2 months old. Others later discovered.
    And I am even more blessed by being married to my best friend and the most honorable man I've ever known.

"The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world." - Abraham Lincoln

Usually even if they don't have teeth their gums are hard enough to mush up foods, especially if they're a little soft. If you're inerested in getting him to start chewing stuff try to start with stuff like bananas or orange slices and work your way up to harder things- cheerios, toast, shredded chicken and lunchmeats (if you're meat eaters).
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

My 11 month old eats anything that's not nailed down. She eats chunks of toast, cheerios, graham crackers, meat, veggies, potatoes, pasta, fruit, all straight off the table. She has two teeth in the front, but manages to chew amazingly well without any teeth at all.

Quote Originally Posted by NorasMommy View Post
    Usually even if they don't have teeth their gums are hard enough to mush up foods, especially if they're a little soft. If you're inerested in getting him to start chewing stuff try to start with stuff like bananas or orange slices and work your way up to harder things- cheerios, toast, shredded chicken and lunchmeats (if you're meat eaters).
    This is correct. You don't need molars or even TEETH to chew food. My son didn't get his molar until after his 1st B-day and by 11months he was eating everything that wasn't something we chose to wait until after a year.

So basically no strawberries,tomatoes, no honey, no peanut anything and no beef or pork. Nothing with salt. (So no pickles or olives ect.)

He was eating all other fruits, shreds of chicken and ground turkey, beans, cheese, snap peas, broccoli, artichokes, spinach, tortillas, lavosh, dry cereal ect.... Anything that could be cut into french fry size portions and fed to him, he ate.

Way too lazy for formula

I gave my son a litte piece of banana (tiny) and he didn't respond well..he's had banana before through one of those little mesh bags and he liked it, but I think having the little bit of food in his mouth threw him off , he made a sour face like he was choking and then he spit up a little bit..so maybe that's his gag reflex? maybe I'm just going to keep giving him what I am giving him, but make it slowly chunkier ( he does eat whole oats as his oatmeal so its not like he's eating smooth food ) but he really does NOT ever put anything to his mouth, not even things around the house, he just isn't into the self feeding thing. hmmmm
    what to do!? I guess nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Owensmum View Post
    but he really does NOT ever put anything to his mouth, not even things around the house, he just isn't into the self feeding thing. hmmmm
    what to do!? I guess nothing
    My LO is like that too. He is almost 12 mos.

I sent these with him to the nursery today:

mango and yogurt blend
    oatmeal with mixed berries (squashed up whole blueberries in it)
    applesauce
    soda crackers and flax seed crackers
    6 oz milk
    6 oz pear juice dilluted with water

I also feel behind. He's just such a big gagger, and he scares the nursery workers. Although sometimes he chews like crazy on a piece of bread, usually it's like he's a vacuum, and just sucks food in, without chewing it!

He's just getting molars.

Maybe he gets it from me. I cannot stand to swallow vitamins or medicine! I'm also not a creative cook.