Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 8 1/2 Month won't BF in am

Default 8 1/2 Month won't BF in am

I should be jumping for joy that my 8 1/2 months old is sleeping through the night most of the time (7:30pm –7am). The problem is that when he wakes up he doesn't want to BF! He will just have a couple of sips and then get mad at me if I want him to continue...shouldn't he be starving??? I have tried BF him 30 min after wake up but it is the same thing a couple of sips...then he has breakfast 1/4 cup of oatmeal and some fruit puree. Then before his morning nap (around 2 hours after wake up) he will nurse himself to sleep. He then has two stage one jars for lunch and then two more for dinner.

But really throughout the day he will only have 7 minute BF sessions before getting fussy – he has around four BF sessions per day (sometimes including that morning sip) doesn't that seem too little?

Right now his eating routine is something like this:

7am wake
    7:30 or 8am BF (only a couple of sips)
    8:30 am Oatmeal & fruit
    9:30am BF and Nap
    1pm Veggie and/or Fruit
    2pm BF and Nap
    5:30pm Veggies and/or Fruit
    7:00pm BF and sleep

Any suggestions to help him eat more upon waking?

Do you think he may want to wean? I hope not, I am so not ready.

Should I just continue like this, is this normal? He seems happy and weighs around 22lbs at 8 1/2 months and is around 27 1/2 inches long.

Some have advised to skip that BF before the morning nap.. To stick to 4 hours a day BF and that he will come around but I feel that he will starve if I make him hold off until lunch with just those couple of sips, plus my milk supply will go down right? Also, as far as feeding on demand..he is so busy and happy that he will go hours without bf unless prompt and then will only drink for a couple of minutes, like I said.

What should I do? I really want to BF until 1 year?

Default Re: 8 1/2 Month won't BF in am

I am also in exactly the same position as you, so really my comment will probably be of no help whatsoever.

My son is 8 1/2 months old and I have just started back to work, but i have noticed over the last month that he is looking for a BF more and more. I do try to encourage it as much as possible but he isn't to interested. He has no long started to crawl and I think that now he has so much to explore that he hasn't got time to BF. He also now drinks whole cows milk out of a cup while I'm at work as he has never taken formula milk.

I also get concerned that he isn't getting enough breast milk but people have suggested baby led weaning, but like you I am not ready. I know that is very selfish but giving up shall be a very emotional time.

I do think that if your baby is doing well (which he appears to be) and is getting a varied diet, then try not to worry. Or speak to your health visitor for reassurance.

You could try mixing some bm into the cereal for starters.
    Mix it into everything for a power packed meal!
    If you are truly concerned try some dream nursing when baby is asleep in the early evening.

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    You could try mixing some bm into the cereal for starters.
    Mix it into everything for a power packed meal!
    If you are truly concerned try some dream nursing when baby is asleep in the early evening.
    or, you could skip the solid breakfast meal and just offer to nurse, then give the oatmeal and fruit afterwards.
    ~Brandi~

Loving wife to K
    Proud stepmom to B, and proud mom to J and R-A
    and our newest addition C

Happily homeschooling
    Still and and

Ask me about Parkinson's Disease! Visit me at Life With Shaky!

I would continue doing what you're doing. If he gets mad at you for wanting to continue then I wouldn't push the issue. But I also wouln't drop the session just because it's short. Keep offering. It's up to him to breastfeed. It doesn't sound like you are overfeeding him on the solids.
    Laura, proud vbacing, ecological breastfeeding mommy to four ages 8, 6, 5, and 2. That's Kate nursing her doll, Adam.

The Seven Standards of ecological breastfeeding: (1) exclusive breasfeeding for the first 6 months (2) pacify baby at your breast (3) don't use bottles and pacifiers (4) co-sleep for night feedings (5) take a nursing nap (6) nurse frequently day and night; avoiding schedules (7) avoid practices that restrict nursing or separates you from your baby. The average return of menstruation for ecological breastfeeding mothers is between 14 and 15 months.

my 5 month old son did the same thing for a couple of weeks, but now, he's back to wanting to nurse when he wakes up. I wouldn't worry about it unless he's not gaining, not wetting, etc.