Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: every time i feed baby chokes?

Default every time i feed baby chokes?

I've noticed that every time i feed my baby it seems like my milk comes out way to fast for him in the beginning and he'll start choking . Does anyone else have/had this problem? Should I pump a little before I feed him?

cmp12345 is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Re: every time i feed baby chokes?

We had this problem when my LO was a few months old too b/c of my oversupply and overactive letdown. What helped was nursing her in an upright position (laying on back with baby on top), since you have the help of gravity, or the side lying position (which we still do today), since the extra milk can drip down the side of baby's mouth (just make sure you have a burp cloth on the bed). As my LO got older, she's more able to handle the overactive letdown. She went from coming off and letting the extra milk spray (onto a burp cloth), to now at 6 1/2 months just gulping it down.

Some people find it helpful to pump before you feed the baby, but I never did that b/c that would've contributed even more to my oversupply. I just let the milk drip onto a burp cloth and then relatch.
    Last edited by cmp12345; September 5th, 2007 at 10:13 PM. Reason: add on

Default Re: every time i feed baby chokes?

yeah i think that's my problem now, is that i've been pumping way to much and letting my breasts completely empty. And now i'm suffering with tender breasts, just like they are engorged again. My husband told me to stop pumping and see what that does...hopefully it helps. b/c my LO is still choking and when he lets go, i just spray everywhere.