Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: worried about my supply...

Default worried about my supply...

I am worried because I have a 2 week old and my nursing experience is so different from when I nursed my other daughter, 5 yrs ago. When I nursed my daughter, my breasts went through major engorgement for weeks. I was a definite cup size bigger than I am now, leaked a lot more, woke up in the night and needed to wake her to feed her because I was ready to burst....

This time, my breasts were engorged for about 2 days and then mellowed out. I didn't use the pump NEAR as much so that could be one reason that my milk regulated faster this time. I leak a little (right before a feeding) but nothing like I did with my first. My breasts are not near as large as they were with my first and they are way softer. After I feed my lo, they are very soft and you'd never know I am lactating.

I just never feel really full. She has lots of wet & poopy diapers. She is very small (under 7 lbsb still) but she is gaining roughly an ounce a day right now. Since I never feel overwhelmingly full, I worry constantly that I am not producing enough milk. Should I pump after I feed her?

Default Re: worried about my supply...

I found with each baby I had less engorgement problems.... with my dd Number 4 I had almost none.
    Make sure you are taking care of yourself getting plenty to drink and eat, its harder when you have older kids.
    count diapars if your worried about baby getting the milk they need.
    Welcome to the new baby

I feel like I could cry at any second. I am so worried about my milk supply. I never worried at all when I had my 1st daughter...I had a TON of milk. I just fed my lo and she ate for 20 min and was swallowing. When she kept stopping and seemed to be done, I took her off and layed her beside me. I had my pump and tried to pump each side and I am getting nothing at all. Then my lo started crying & crying. My dh suggested I feed her more but my breasts are soft and empty. I have nothing more She was happy with her pacifier and is asleep now. I continued to pump and get nothing but as you can imagine...I am getting so worried now. I desperately want to BF'd for at least a year (preferably longer). I do not want to use formula at all but I am doubting everything right now

I'm going through the same thing... I've been so stressed and worried about my supply... (check out my rant in my thread "ready to throw in the towel")

Right about the two week mark, my supply dipped big time (this time last week) but has slowly started increasing again over the past two days... I made some lactation cookies, and have been munching on them in the afternoons... here's the link for the recipe...

http://www.recipezaar.com/192346

I've also talked to my OB today, and she recommends Mother's Milk Tea... Hang in there... You aren't alone...

mmm I was that way with my first... but second time around I got more and had to pump an hr after every feeding until my body got it to regulate... hang in there and hope u can continue the relationship.

I know what you mean. I just returned to work 2 weeks ago and I am very concerned about my supply as well as my daughter not wanting to bf. I teach college level courses so I do not have a "regulr schedule". I exclusively bf her on days when I am home but I am gone one day a week from 9 a.m. - 9 p.m.! (but luckily she is with daddy when I am gone!!) I am able to pump every 2-3 hours at work but have noticed since returning to work that I am barely pumping enough from the left side to cover the bottom of the collection bottle!! The right I am getting 2 oz. BUT I was getting 3-4 oz easily between both sides prior to returning to work. It is obvious that my daughter isnt getting enough bf as she is so hungry after an hour or so!
    I was on fenugreek and have now returned to it. It does seem to be helping a bit ( I pumped 3 oz the first time at work today!!!!!). I am worried about the issues of supply as well as my daughter getting used to a bottle.

I see suggestions about different bottles and nipples to use so I may try some. She is showing signs of not wanting to "work that hard" to bf! I DO NOT want to give up bf and I do not want to pump feed her exclusively but the stash of frozen milk is almost gone!!
    Some days I just want to cry!

Jack'sMum is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Kristi - deep breath. Relax.

The fact that your daughter is doing lots of wet and dirty nappies and is gaining an ounce a day means that you have enough milk for her!

Your supply has obviously settled down a lot quicker the second time around. It took months for mine to do that. I now hardly even leak or get full boobs - only at night when (on very rare occassions!) he's slept through!

And your boobs aren't like a tank - you don't ever truly become empty - it's more like a tap that there is a constant supply there (IYSWIM). When your boobs feel empty that means baby will be getting more of the fatty hind milk, which is what you want.

And I've heard that pumps do not work nearly as well as baby at getting milk out, so pumping nothing has little baring on how much you are producing. (Although I don't actually use a pump!)

LO might be crying after being fed because she wants to be with you all the time or she may be going through a growth spurt, so might need to feed more to up your supply for a few days (again this doesn't mean you're not producing enough, it's just what babies do!)

Sounds like you're doing a great job.

As long as she's soiling enough diapers/gaining weight, your supply is fine and your baby is getting enough. I was very rarely engorged and worried MANY times that I was losing my supply. Just b/c your breasts are soft and are not leaking does NOT mean you're not producing enough milk.

Stressing over it will make it worse. I know, easier said than done...If you're really concerned, try some oatmeal or Fenugreek to help boost your production.

Thank-you for all the encouragement! I've been more positive about it the last few days. Maybe I just need something to worry about all the time I just want her to weigh a little more...at least surpass the 7 lb mark. It will come though. She is probably almost there. One thing I've noticed lately is that when I open my bra, sometimes it looks like I've sprung a leak and milk is just sprouting straight out My breasts certainly do not get super full or uncomfortable like they did when I had my first though...maybe I should just be happy about that. She does seem to swallow a lot and I can see the milk on her mouth/chin. She has some real blow-out diapers and lots of wet!