Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Running out of milk in the evening?

Default Running out of milk in the evening?

Hi, I'm a 1st time mom of a 5 wk old baby. She gets very fussy after 6-7 pm and it seems not to get full. She nurses for 1-2 minutes and then starts crying/screaming. I tried switching breasts back and forth, but it doesn't make a difference. My breasts feel very soft, which makes me think I'm not making enough milk in the evening. Is this possible? She has enough pees, but her poops have decreased from 4 per day to 2 per day. I'm considering supplementing with formula in the evenings or is there anything else I could do? Can somebody help???
    Thanks

Default Re: Running out of milk in the evening?

She may not be hungry, but wanting to suck for comfort. My lo did this...its fustrating when you don't know what's wrong. I wouldn't use formula, because you said she is getting enough wet/poop diapers. You may want to try a pinky finger (nail side down) and see if that works
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

mmm not sure about this one... hope u get some good advice and keep us posted. you're doing great.

My lo poops decreased at five weeks shes seven weeks and now still has only one or two a day. My lo likes to stay on my boob from 6pm to bedtime, I just let her. I think its all normal, formula might make baby gassy.

It's very common for babies at this age to be fussy in the evenings, whether breast or formula fed.

One thing to consider. It may be that she wants to suck but really doesn't want milk. Babies who truly like to comfort nurse can get royally irritated if milk comes out. My lo was like this. You might want to consider a pacifier and see if it helps.

NAK-----
    the problem with supplementing is that it gives you body the message that it doesnt need to make as much milk and starts a whole cycle up......i would think every once and a while would be ok but not every night. my lo got very fussy too in the evenings.....taking a bath, walking him, wearing him sometimes helped.

hth!

Cluster feeding often coincides with your baby's fussy time. Baby will nurse a few minutes, pull off, fuss/cry, nurse a few minutes, pull off, fuss/cry... on and on... for hours. This can be VERY frustrating, and mom starts wondering if baby is getting enough milk, if something she is eating is bothering baby, if EVERYTHING she is doing is bothering baby... It can really ruin your confidence, particularly if there is someone else around asking the same questions (your mother, your husband, your mother-in-law).
    This is from http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/fussy-evening.html

Hang in there! You're doing fine.

My LO is a screaming machine at night!! No matter what I do, she screams! One thing I have found to help is giving her a bath at night, every night, using calming bubble bath and then letting her have a good feed (after all that crying she is usually pretty hungry). She will sleep for a good 4-5 hours after that and she is only a month old!!

Good luck and I agree with the pp...most babies are fussy at night.

Smile Re: Running out of milk in the evening?

Thanks for all the responses and all the support. It's comforting to know I'm not alone. I decided not to supplement with formula and to hang on and just get her through her fussy time.
    Thanks again for everyone's help.

My daughter was a p.m. fusser- the unhappy hours started every night promptly at 7 and ended promptly at 9, when she fell asleep. I think she was too tired to eat and too hungry to fall asleep. She was miserable, and so were we.

We developed a strategy based on a daily bottle. We would warm up the bottle at 6:45, and once the wailing began, I would make a few attempts to nurse. If the baby wasn't going for it, I would abandon the attempt and my husband would feed her the bottle while I pumped. (That way my supply stayed up.) After the bottle, my daughter usually went right to sleep. By the time she was about 3 months old, she no longer needed that evening bottle.

Hang in there! It will get so much easier!