Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Getting really frustrated

Default Getting really frustrated

I'm at my wits end today, and I can't figure out what the problem is.

Elisabeth has been exceedingly *****y today. Every time I feed her, she's fine for about five minutes, then she starts fussing. She's hardly eaten anything today, because of this. Twice, I've put her down for naps, and she'll sleep for about an hour, and wake up fussing again. When she does eat, she pops off every minutes or so, and I have to put her back on, which is pissing me off, frustrating her, and making feedings take twice as long. I'm getting more and more frustrated by the minute, which is NOT helping. Her diaper's fine, she's had plenty of sleep. The only thing I can think is maybe the shots she had a couple days ago are making her fussy, but she's been fine up until now.

Does anyone have any suggestions? She's hungry, I know she is, because she's sucking on her fist something fierce, and she's pouting and making hungry cries, but she won't eat, dammit, and I'm getting tired of this. My nipples HURT from all the popping off.

ETA: The last time I attempted to feed her, she just start screaming as soon as I set her on the boppy. It can't be letdown problems if she's screaming before she even starts nursing! She's in the other room, wailing like a banshee now, and I just can't figure it out. Maybe she's finally starting colic. *sighs
    Last edited by Dragonchilde; January 20th, 2006 at 04:03 PM.

Default Re: Getting really frustrated

Hi there,

I could read the frustration...((((((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))) )))))) My son went through the same stuff recently but he had a cold. Turned out he had an ear infection. Maybe you should have her checked out? I really feel for you hun, I am not so great at handling fussiness either. Could it have been something new you are eating?

Stay strong and bless you!!

Kris

Girl i totally understand! My Elias was born 5 days before your baby and does a lot of that..what i'm doing is being patient and just nursing him when he wants to..he's not sick or anything. I have 3 other children and really don't have time to figure out his problem. I'm sure our babies will outgrow this..hang in there mama

Once Daddy got home, she calmed down, now that he's been paying attention to her. I think she got used to him being home over the weekend and playing with her lots, so she got cranky when he wasn't there. Little traitor.

Hi Heather,
    The frustrations of not being able "fix" what is wrong can be so tough! I just posted to Brenda that this behavior in an older newborn can be indicative of something bothering her when she goes to nurse. Has it gotten any better since last post? Maybe you could consider giving a call to her ped. to rule out ear infection? This is a pulling off an crying at the breast is often a symptom of something hurting when trying to nurse. Take care of you and know that you are not alone. Let us know how things are going!

I've been going through the same thing with my daughter since the beginning of December. I find that the morning feeding is the best one as she is actually hungry from going most of the night without nursing.

Today, I'm going to try stretching out her nursing time from every 3 hours to every 3.5 hours and see if that helps. I'll let you know my results tomorrow!

Heather, I'd take her to the doctor and have her ears checked. It may be an ear infection. My DD was doing the same exact thing and was pretty much unconsolable. Turns out she had a double ear infection. A day after antibiotics and she was back to nursing like normal.

Sara
    Mom to Richard 11.26.03 & Jolene 12.01.05

My DD would go on and off the booby and cry and nursing times when she had ear infections, but more often when she had thrush. Have you looked in the mouth for white patches?

Dragonchilde,

I can also relate (see refusing to eat from Sunday). The local La Leche expert suggested that there may be a food allergy at work. Dairy seems to be the most common culprit, so I'm starting by eliminating that. Apparently allergies can pop up at any time so even older babies can have problems.

I hope this helps...good luck to you!

Sadie Jo's Mom

I've got an appointment for her tomorrow... I suspect acid reflux, but want to get the doctor to confirm it. It's gotten steadily worse, to the point where I'm concerned she isn't getting enough to eat, and I know she certainly isn't getting enough hindmilk. she's also sleeping a lot more than normal, only having wakeful periods of two or three hours, whereas before she rarely slept at all during the day. My lactation consultant thinks her problem is that she's too damn smart, and is getting overstimulated.