Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Bad cold,reduced nursing

Default Bad cold,reduced nursing

Thomas had pink eye a week ago Monday, that cleared up and then last Friday he got a fever and a junky nose. I took him to the ped last Sat. thouht that it may be pnemona, xray showed up negative. Then back on Monday still not well, she siad that it was a virus, suction the nose, fluids ect.. Now he has a nasty cough and gags and sometime throws up after his coughing. He was nursing like crazy and now all of the sudden for the first time in atleast 6 months he is only nursing once maybe twice in the night, and not really any more than every 3 hrs durring the day. I feel that some of this reduction may be him getting older but bc of the sudden drop I am very full, should I pump or just let nature take its course? Do you think that he feels to sick to nurse or just that he is cutting back? Thanks! ( Thomas near 9 months )

Default Re: Bad cold,reduced nursing

I'm currently nursing my third child. I never did go through what you are going through. My best advice to give to you would be if you can pump some milk to help with the engorgement. Not only you will feel better, but your son will too when he does go to nurse. Pumping will also give you a heads start when he does go back to resuming his usual nursing regiment after the illness has passed.

He could certainly be feeling to sick to nurse often.

For now, when you feel engorged you might consider just expressing enough to feel comfortable. You could also express a full feeding, if you desire, but pumping enough for comfort is just fine.

Here's some info re: when baby is sick:
    http://www.kellymom.com/health/illne...y-illness.html

Thank you, we are nipping back to the DOC this am to have the cough evaluated... Last nights nursing was the same, Have a great day!

Let us know how it goes, Brittan.

I'm moving this to Infants, where it will recieve more replies.

Thank you, we went to the Dr today and she said that he sounded fine, just a really bad cold. Last night was the same a 5 hr stretch between 10 and 3. he has been exposed to RSV so I hope that they are not missing something, his cousin had it and had the same symptoms that he does, even if he does have it there really is not much they can do. I think that I am just being a worry wort She did give us some cough med for the cough, I would rather not give it to him so we will see? He is playing more today so that is a great sign!