Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much should he be eating @ 8 months?

Default How much should he be eating @ 8 months?

Help! I think I'm underfeeding my baby boy! He's on Stage 2 cereals mixed with rice cereal twice a day, and breastfeeding the rest of the day. Recently, though he's started waking up at about 3AM hungry, though. (he goes to bed around 8). Am I underfeeding him? How much should I be feeding him? I don't want him to be hungry!

Default Re: How much should he be eating @ 8 months?

My DD is 8 1/2 months and still feeds about 3 times a night (from bed to wake). Remember, baby is getting all the nutrition he needs from breastmilk, not solids. Just keep feeding him on demand, you can't go wrong that way!

Angela (AP), mommy to Charlotte Rose (12/22/06) and Ruby (7/30/09) http://lettiebuzz.blogspot.com/

my 5 months old son nurses every 3-4 hours and eats 3 meals a day. he eats anywhere from 2 to 9 tablespoons at each meal (depends on his mood I guess ). He just started sleeping thru the night last week (from about 9-5 with no feedings). But, the pp is right...they say that breastmilk is all they NEED at this point, so do what feels right for you! good luck!

I agree with PP, breastmilk is all babies need until 12 mos, so as long as he's nursing well don't worry about starving your LO If you're more worried about sleep - and there's tons of reasons an 8 month old would wake up once a night or more - you could try nursing more frequently during the evening before he goes to bed and/or offering calorie-rich foods like avocado at dinner. HTH!
    Erin - Hayden James is my beautiful boy - we've been nursing happily for two years, with no end in sight!

Change the language, change the reality.

Is it possible he's going through a growth spurt? I know that dd's needs change during those times. Continue to feed on demand if possible and I know those nighttime feedings might be tough on you, but if he's asking for more then give it to him. Also, try more whole foods in his diet - fruits and veggies. The peds always recommend cereals but in reality whole foods and bm are all he needs and like pp said avocado is a great one!