Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sippy Cup and Cleaning Mesh Feeder

Default Sippy Cup and Cleaning Mesh Feeder

My ped said to remove the valve in the sippy cup the first time I give it to lo so he understands there is water in there. Well, I got the Avent sippy cup, which doesn't have a removable valve-- it's all one piece. I have tried giving it to ds anyway, but I'm not sure he's actually gotten water out of it. Usually it looks like a tiny bit is gone, but not as much as I would think he drank based on how long he was sucking on it.

Onto the mesh feeder... How do I clean it well? I spend a lot of time trying to get all the little food bits out of the mesh, but I feel like I am never fully successful. So far we have only put banana in it. Maybe that's not a good choice to use in there? He really loves it, but I don't want it to become unsanitary.

Default Re: Sippy Cup and Cleaning Mesh Feeder

on the mesh feeder if i had something that was tougher to clean i would soak it in hot soapy water and use a toothbrush is necessary to get the little holes

on sippy cup can't help as i have gerber with removable value

HTH
    Jenn SAHM and carseat to

DD 5 years old , nursed till just shy of 3 yrs old

where did you get your mesh feeder from? I bought mine from ONe Step Ahead about a month ago, and I noticed that the bags are starting to disintegrate

I clean mine with an organic soap.

can you put it in the dish washer?

http://www.babysafefeeder.com/qa10.htm

How do you clean the BABY SAFE FEEDER?
    A. As soon as baby is finished take the feeder away. Rinse or use a soapy toothbrush to loosen food particles (sprayer on kitchen sink works well). Some foods such as bananas are more difficult to clean out of the feeder than others (try a white vinegar soak or baking soda with vinegar on a brush). Wash on top rack of dishwasher (use utensil basket) or wash with hot soapy water rinse well. We purposely made the mesh bags white so that moms and caregivers are sure that the bag is clean for the next use.

Quote Originally Posted by raline View Post
    where did you get your mesh feeder from? I bought mine from ONe Step Ahead about a month ago, and I noticed that the bags are starting to disintegrate

I clean mine with an organic soap.
    Mine is Sassy brand. Ds has only used it 4 or 5 times. I don't know how long the bags are supposed to last, but I noticed that they sold replacement bags at Babies R Us.

Quote Originally Posted by andrea_ohio View Post
    http://www.babysafefeeder.com/qa10.htm

How do you clean the BABY SAFE FEEDER?
    A. As soon as baby is finished take the feeder away. Rinse or use a soapy toothbrush to loosen food particles (sprayer on kitchen sink works well). Some foods such as bananas are more difficult to clean out of the feeder than others (try a white vinegar soak or baking soda with vinegar on a brush). Wash on top rack of dishwasher (use utensil basket) or wash with hot soapy water rinse well. We purposely made the mesh bags white so that moms and caregivers are sure that the bag is clean for the next use.
    Thanks Andrea and veggiegirl for the suggestions. I never thought of using a toothbrush, lol! I'll have to try that soak too. I'm trying to avoid the dishwasher right now since I thought it might wear the bags out faster, but I might try that next as well.

are you sure there is not removable piece to the Avent sippy cup? that's the brand I use and it has a rubbery disk that you can remove.

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    are you sure there is not removable piece to the Avent sippy cup? that's the brand I use and it has a rubbery disk that you can remove.
    From what I can tell the only thing I can do is take out the whole mouthpiece from the lid of the cup, but then he couldn't drink out of it. I saved the package, and it says it's a new one-piece valve. I couldn't find any info on their web site about introducing it, so I might call them and see if they have any suggestions.

Thanks zookeeper, you were right. I see what you mean. When it said one-piece valve, I thought I would ruin it if I tried to take anything apart. Problem solved.

I soaked the bag in vinegar for about 10 minutes and used the toothbrush. It was a lot easier to clean. I think I'm going to put it in the dishwasher though too. The seams of the bag are where the food particles really stick. Thanks again everyone!

i put my mesh feeders in the dishwasher all the time and they have held up great. and have no gunk in them. hth
    Lisa
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)