Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Solids: Bread/Flax question

Default Solids: Bread/Flax question

I was just wondering what kind of bread is best to offer my LO. I prefer organic, and realized that the bread I eat has sunflower seeds. I obviously want a healthy choice, are there certain ingredients besides nuts that I should avoid until he is older. Also what about flax, when can I introduce it?

TIA!

Default Re: Solids: Bread/Flax question

I heard seeds can cause allergies, but I don't know that for sure

Organic bread is goodbetter than non, whole grain wheat vs bleach is always going to have more nutrients.(I have seen organic white bread. Although it's not as bad for you as non organic, it's still had very little in the way of nutrients.) Also....moving towards FLAT or Crackerbread wherever possible. Those breads retain the most nutrients. (Tortillas Count as flat bread as does Lavosh.)

Way too lazy for formula

Are you introducing wheat? Organic Sprouted Wheat would probably retain the most amount of nutrients. If you're avoiding wheat as it is a top allegen, most health food stores have healthy alternatives for people with celiac and other allergies.
    I our healthfood store for great options. I always read labels, for breads I focus on high protein % and high fiber % (and sugar % to be low)
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

I will definitely stay away from anything white, first for nutrition reasons, but second because white bread tends to get more doughy posing a choking hazard.

Thanks for the info. When is it okay to introduce wheat?

I have found that homemade breads are a lot more crumbly than store-bought breads. So I really like that for BLW. Do you have a breadmachine? People always give their new/barely used machines to thrift stores or garage sales. You can experiment with rice flour, and other flours.

Wheat is a top allergen, I think after 12 months?

Lyn
    Lyn

we had one for 4 years, never used it and when I moved out here 4 months ago I donated it. DO you think Goodwill still has it?

Quote Originally Posted by raline View Post
    we had one for 4 years, never used it and when I moved out here 4 months ago I donated it. DO you think Goodwill still has it?
    You are those people I was talking about, donating a never used breadmachine!!! They probably have it still, and ten others

Lyn
    Lyn