Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: DH feeding LO everything!

cmp12345 is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default DH feeding LO everything!

My DH is feeding my LO everything that we eat. He's not paying attention to baby food stages and is not following the wait 3-4 days for allergies rule since he says that both our families do not have a family history of food allergies. LO is 6.5 months old and loves everything he gives her -- from ice cream, rice, mashed fruits (nectarines, peaches, bananas, watermelon, etc), veggies, guacamole...even chocolate. Of course, he's avoiding the obvious no-no's like honey. He's not giving her a ton, but just a little bit, but enough to make me nervous that it could upset her stomach.

Is this OK? LO seems to be OK -- no signs of allergies or constipation, but I just worry that one day there will be a problem.

Default Re: DH feeding LO everything!

tell him to stop, that while it may be cute now, it will not be fun when your baby is upset or you are in the doctor's office, or at the grocery trying to figure out how to buy for a house with allergies.

This is not something you should budge on. Tell him that he has a whole lifetime to introduce her to new things...but not if he overwhelms her now and allergies creep up!

We were strict about the waiting in the beginning, but pretty quickly relaxed about it, since we have no history of allergies and lo didn't seem to be having any problems. We were/are careful about certain common allergens- nuts, no egg whites, milk, honey etc. But as far as veggies and fruits it quickly became a free-for-all at dinner time in our house.

But, having said that, if you are uncomfortable with it and would rather be more careful your dh should respect that. Especially since you are probably going to be the one dealing with fussy baby/doctor's visits, etc if she does react poorly to anything.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

definitely stop now. there's loads of research as to why. Trust what you gut is saying and print out all the reasons why from a reputable source and show the hubby. He may just not see it as a big deal and is enjoying sharing fun time with the lo,Also..chocolate and ice cream are definitely items to wait on, you dont want your little bugger to prefer the sweets too soon. Hope things work out , stick to your instincts
    My little May baby just turned THE BIG ONE!
    Formally known as kaykate23

I don't think it's a problem. As long as you avoid citrus fruits, kiwi, nuts, honey, strawberries, eggs and fish/shellfish, then I don't think it will be a problem at all. With my first kid, I would have been freaking out too, but now with my second, I wouldn't think too much about it. If your LO was younger, then I would think twice, but I think that this could lead to a healthy and none picky eater.

If you are uncomfortable with it, then you probably need to say something. I am not too picky on what we offer DD because we do not have a history of allergies. However, what we offer must be at least somewhat healthy. Everyone is dying to give her ice cream, chocolate etc, so I am the mean one who says no . I want DD to learn to eat and like healthy stuff early so hopefully this will help her to make healthier choices in the future. I do not want her to get used to sugary stuff too early. That being said, I do pick my battles. DH has let DD lick (not eat) a sucker and a sweetart etc and I have not said much. He is her father and has a right to make eating decisions too. However, when extended family want to give her stuff "to see if she likes it" I usually say no and DH supports that.

Here is a good site for info on solids:
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...rst-foods.html
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

Battles with dh need to be handled delicately. Since we are with the baby more we tend to feel like we should get to make these calls -- I know I do. But this isn't a friend or extended family member where you can just lay down the line. He's the baby's father and needs to be worked with. Perhaps if you could discuss it with your husband at a non-stressful time. Prioritize what you want. Be open to what he has to say and present your concerns. I know that my dh is very much of a non-worrier but will "humor" me if he sees that it's truly important.

As a side note, it gets even harder when you have older children around who like to give the baby food. I couldn't believe it when my son gave my 11 month old his pb sandwich but according to my ped it is so common.
    Laura, proud vbacing, ecological breastfeeding mommy to four ages 8, 6, 5, and 2. That's Kate nursing her doll, Adam.

The Seven Standards of ecological breastfeeding: (1) exclusive breasfeeding for the first 6 months (2) pacify baby at your breast (3) don't use bottles and pacifiers (4) co-sleep for night feedings (5) take a nursing nap (6) nurse frequently day and night; avoiding schedules (7) avoid practices that restrict nursing or separates you from your baby. The average return of menstruation for ecological breastfeeding mothers is between 14 and 15 months.

once both mine started to become interested in table foods was the only time they got them but if it's like one of the gerber spoons size(small) then I wouldn't really worry about it b.c it's something different... u could just tell him to WAIT the 3-4 days in trying something new and see if he lets up with all the food being in her face.. I'm sure she's loves every bite of it but he does need to wait and watch if anything changes in her at all. HTH and u can get him to slow down!!! I've been having a hard time trying to get my DH to understand that my oldest is just not ready for the things he wants him to do

I just wanted to add on to what i wrote earlier. i would just encourage your husband not to introduce new foods at dinner time. they say it is best to try new stuff earlier in the day so that you can watch them for reactions.

My DH thought it was cute to let my 6 month old suck on a pink creamsicle - for only a couple of minutes...boy did he have a tummy ache the next day (or it could have been a big coincidence?)