Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: oversupply of milk-HELP

Default oversupply of milk-HELP

My 2 1/2 week old has been vomiting on and off for over a week. MY Ped, thinks it is that i have an oversupply. He fights at the breast and chokes at times. Today, the milk was spraying at him. I pumped yesterday and got 4 oz from each breast, when we gave a bottle, he only at 2-2 1/2 oz. How do i limit my supply without pre-pumping. i only want to pump at night, when my DH gives him a bottle and I will now only pump until I get 2 oz and not 4.

Default Re: oversupply of milk-HELP

Hello, you will find articles and posts from mothers who have dealt with the same issue of "oversupply" and "overactive letdown (OALD)" in the "Too Much Milk!" forum found here: http://lalecheleague.org/vbulletin/f...splay.php?f=32

Hello! I also have had issues with OALD. One thing I found that helps is that when the milk starts to spray uncontrollably, I take baby off the breast and let the milk spray either into a nursing pad, or a towel or something, and then put baby back on when things settle down. Your milk should regulate after a while. I've also done block feedings where I will nurse off of one breast for a certain number of hours before I let the baby feed off the other breast. That has helped a lot. I wouldn't suggest pre-pumping because that is going to tell your body to make more milk. If you get engorged while block feeding (if you decide to try that) just let out enough milk to make yourself comfortable. I know with a 2.5 week old, it is recommended that you nurse both sides each feeding to make sure your supply is good, but it doesn't sound like you have that problem! My supply eventually evened itself out. Hope this helps!
    Wife to the man of my dreams! 10/10/98

DD Kiara 4/00
    DD Moriah 12/01
    DD Senja 2/06

Thankful to be a stay at home mom and homeschooling mom!

You might find this FAQ helpful:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/oversupply.html

I'm moving this post to too much milk for more replies.