Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fenugreek (milk production)

Unhappy Fenugreek (milk production)

I've read that there is an hebal called fenugreek that helps increase milk production within 74 hours. I've also heard that there has been cases where mothers who take this herb while breastfeeding, make their babies allegeric to peanuts. Has anyone here used this herb? What has been your experience?

Default Re: Fenugreek (milk production)

We have not tried peanuts (waiting until around 2-2 1/2 yrs old), but I have taken fenugreek since my twins were about 2 mo old. It works great for me and was the way I survived growth spurts. Now that I am starting to try to wean them partially, I have just started reducing the fenugreek.
    Nancy
    Mom to Elijah & Audrey 9/19/06
    Twin GERDlings

for 21 mo

I took fenugreek with dd1 and she has not had any allergies at all as of yet. She has had peanut butter and seem fine and cookies with nuts and no problem. I took it for quiet some time and no problems here!!

I have not tried it yet, but have been reading up on it. what I have read is that if you have a family history of a peanut allergy, you should avoid taking it, since your child may ALREADY have a sensitivity to peanuts. HTH

I took Fenugreek, Blessed Thistle, and brewer yeast as suggested (article below), but only once a day. My milk supply did increase. However, I stopped because I am not sure if the herbs cause any strange smell in the milk. Does anybody know about this? Otherwise, I would start taking those again.

http://www.breastfeedingbasics.com/h...creasing.shtml

Thanks

Where do you get Fenugreek? What form is it in? Capsule?

I took fenugreek, and I think it did help me produce more. (I also took Reglan, a prescription milk-increaser, and pumped every 2 hours, which helped more.)

I had no side-effects from the fenugreek other than smelling like maple syrup. (Fenugreek is full of aromatic chemical compounds that are excreted in urine, sweat, and probably milk as well, though I never checked that last one myself.) I would be surprised to hear that taking fenugreek would cause a peanut allergy. Fenugreek is a legume, as are peanuts, but though they belong to the same family (Fabaceae) they are completely different species. Fenugreek is Trigonella foenum-graecum while peanut is Arachis hypogaea. Furthermore, a lot of things we eat- beans, peas, lentils, carob, and soybeans- are also legumes. I've never head that eating them causes allergies to develop, although I suppose if a child was already prone to a certain allergy it might be wise to avoid them.

If you decide you want fenugreek, you can get it in capsule form in a health food store, or in the herbal supplement aisle in the grocery store. I had good luck with fenugreek seed, which I found in the Indian section of our grocery's ethnic food aisle under the name "Methi." It was much fresher than what I got in capsule form. If you have an Indian grocery store nearby, you can also get methi in leaf form, either dried or fresh.

Finally, just an interesting note that I discovered when looking up the species names- in Semetic languages like Hebrew and Arabic, the word for fenugreek is derived from the word for milk, probably because its milk-increasing properties have been known since ancient times!
    Last edited by Momma1; September 5th, 2007 at 07:11 PM. Reason: grammar!

I bought Fenugreek and others online, vitacost.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Kateliza View Post
    I took Fenugreek, Blessed Thistle, and brewer yeast as suggested (article below), but only once a day. My milk supply did increase. However, I stopped because I am not sure if the herbs cause any strange smell in the milk. Does anybody know about this? Otherwise, I would start taking those again.

http://www.breastfeedingbasics.com/h...creasing.shtml

Thanks
    Fenugreek causes a maple syrup smell to your urine, and sweat... I guess it could make your milk smell funny too

Smile Re: Fenugreek (milk production)

You would not expect someone who has donates milk to have needed this but...early on I did. When I have used fenugreek I took it in a capsule. The bottle said to take 3 caps 3 times a day. Well, I choke trying to take a mini-pill (bc) so the most I ever could bear to swallow was 2 capsules twice a day. I took them for 1 week and my supply was back to normal. I was also drinking 2 cups of Mother's milk tea each day at this time.

After a week of fenugreek, Mother's milk tea, extra pumping sessions and tons of nursing I ended up makign too much milk. My LO was fine with it and I decided to keep up the pumping (as much as I could stand) and build a freezer stash. Once my freezer was full I read about donating and...the rest is history. So, IMO, it does work when combined with pumping and tea.

I have no idea about the peanuts as my LO is only 11 months old now.

Good luck!
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk