Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: foremilk/hindmilk imbalance and pumping

Question foremilk/hindmilk imbalance and pumping

Hi,

I think this is the issue that we've been having (that and an overabundant milk supply), given my baby's fussiness and her green stools, not to mention that I get engorged pretty frequently.

I know that I can correct this by only feeding on one breast, but how do I do this with pumping?

Do I only pump one side? And if I'm pumping more than she needs, do I start her with that one sided quantity and then give her the rest at the next feeding and supplement with the other side?

And what do I do with all the other milk I have expressed? I've already mixed all the contents in preparation of bottles, so I don't know which side was what...

ugh! I'm so confused!! Please help me figure this out, I don't know what to do.

Thanks a bunch,

mom2bella

And what do I do about decreasing the pain and discomfort of the engorged breast?

Default Re: foremilk/hindmilk imbalance and pumping

Hi,

I just wanted to bump up this message to see if anyone can provide some input.

thanks!

mmm warm compresses... express a little before she nurses... uumm... u could probably store what u pump until u need it... HTH and someone else can give u better advice.

You can freeze any extra milk you pump to use later if you need it. I had f/h milk imbalance, though never had an oversupply problem. I just tried to look at the milk I pumped to see if it looked 'creamy' enough. You can tell the foremil when you pump because it looks blueish and sort of clear. Also, once it starts to separate you can see how thick the cream layer is on top.

If you don't think there is enough hindmilk, you can try giving the breast a brief break (a few minutes-I pump the opposite side during this time) then pumping again to get another let down. I have to pump really rapidly for a minute or two to get another letdown, but it is usually the one with a lot of hindmilk and makes the milk look really thick and white.

As for pumping on only one side, I'm not sure. It seems like this would help with the oversupply issues, but I have no experience with that so hopefully someone else can chime in on that.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I didn't know about the formilk and hind milk until reading this post. My milk has just a little bit of thick layer on top. Does that mean that my milk does not have as much nutrients as it should be? My milk supply is real low, so I value any drop of milk I can pump out. Now am am worried about not having enough nutrients.

Quote Originally Posted by Kateliza View Post
    I didn't know about the formilk and hind milk until reading this post. My milk has just a little bit of thick layer on top. Does that mean that my milk does not have as much nutrients as it should be? My milk supply is real low, so I value any drop of milk I can pump out. Now am am worried about not having enough nutrients.
    If your baby doesn't seem to be having any symptoms, I'm sure you're fine. This site has some pictures of bottles with separated milk. It says there are varying degrees of normal.

http://www.mother-2-mother.com/motherconcerns.htm
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/oversupply.html

I hope this helps...I had the same problem, my DS had green poops for two weeks. I was not pumping at the time, but I believe this strategy can be used for pumping as well. We still get green diapers every now and then, but this worked for us. This link also gives information on how to deal with engorgement. HTH

Quote Originally Posted by Kateliza View Post
    My milk also has a small thick layer, but my LO is gaining weight fine. If you are having the yellow poo with the little sesame seed looking like things your LO is getting enough hindmilk. http://www.llli.org/FAQ/foremilk.html