Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Raynaud's Syndrome/Vasospasms/Nipple Blanching

Default Raynaud's Syndrome/Vasospasms/Nipple Blanching

Hello

I am having numerous problems breastfeeding my son this time around (I breastfed my DD6 for two years with few problems). He is now five weeks old and some things are getting better!

I have finally figured out, after seeing a lactation counselor, that I have blanching of the nipples which is EXTREMELY painful. I originally thought it was yeast (Classic symptoms) but have now noticed that my nipples turn white, then purple, then back to original color. This is a very painful process that occurs numerous times within an hour/hour and a half after a feeding.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with this. I started vitamin B6 today (150 mg for four days, then 25 mg daily). I don't want to use the blood pressure med (forgot the name) until it is a last resort.

Thanks for any info!!!

Kelly

Default Re: Raynaud's Syndrome/Vasospasms/Nipple Blanching

Hi Kelly!

That sounds painful! Some mothers have found it helpful to keep the breast warm, using a heating pad while nursing and covering the breast immediately after nursing. Warm showers and baths can also help. A lot of mothers also find that the condition goes away on it's own after a few months. Hopefully that will be the case with you!

Good luck!
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

calcium supplements helped me lots. i find that now the weather is warming up, i'm having far fewer problems. good luck!!!

Does cold make it worse? With my first son I had this excruciating breast pain when my right breast would get cold, or at least when I thought it was cold. I did also notice that my nipples were sometime white, and sometimes a deep purple. Oh it hurt so bad! Thankfully I didn't experience this with baby #2! Oh your poor thing! I hope things get better soon!

Sarah

Yep, cold definitely makes it worse. The pain is caused by the milk ducts spasming as they refill the breast. That's great to hear that it wasn't as bad with a second baby. Hopefully that will be the case with the OP if she ever has another baby.

OP--how're you doing?

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

I found that I developed Raynauds after taking Diflucan for yeast. I stopped taking my daily doses of Diflucan and the symptoms subsided.