Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need Help Teaching Older Baby to BF

Exclamation Need Help Teaching Older Baby to BF

I had asked this question in another spot, but it must have been the wrong spot because no one responded. I stopped nursing my son just before he turned 6 months old and I would like to get him nursing again. My situation is unique in that I am pregnant and due July 31st.. I was given bad advice and I never should have stopped nursing him, even though I was pregnant. But there was a lot going on in my life at that time and I didn't know what else to do. So far I've done everything my LC has recommended, and just today we experimented with a SNS. He sort of latched on for a second, tried to get the formula out of the tube, then got frustrated and tore the whole thing off of me and started screaming If anyone has any ideas on how to get a 9 month old baby interested in nursing again, please share them! My hope is that he will have relearned how to nurse by the time baby brother is born, that way when I have my milk back we can pick up where we left off all those months ago.

Default Re: Need Help Teaching Older Baby to BF

Wow, what a wonderful thing to try and do! Your son is lucky.

This is a pretty unusual undertaking, so I'm not sure anyone can give you a guaranteed blueprint for success. What does your LC have you doing?

If you weren't pregnant, I'd tell you to pump in order to relactate. But that probably isn't a good idea while you're pregnant -- it may stimulate contractions and cause pre-term labor. Plus, I'm not sure pregnancy is conducive to the hormonal process of relactation. Does your LC know you are pregnant? (just want to make sure we're all on the same page -- hope that doesn't sound nosy.)

How about warm baths and skin-to-skin contact, just to help baby get familiar and cozy with your breasts again? I've heard of non-latching babies going for months without nursing, and then in a bath with momma suddenly latching and nursing well out of the blue.

--Rebecca

Default Re: Need Help Teaching Older Baby to BF

The LC recommended pretty much the same things. Lots of skin to skin contact, letting him play on my lap ( which always leads to him pinching or doing something painful to my nipples LOL ) He does show interest...just not in nursing. I haven't tried taking a bath with him, so maybe I will try that next. He loves bathtime, and he would stay in there for hours if we let him. Using the SNS was my own idea, and yesterday the LC dropped one off for us to try. I tried at a bad time though. He was very tired and teething, and he ended up having a screaming fit for several minutes lol. I know it will be very hard, if not impossible. And I accept that. But I would never know what would happen if I didn't at least try this. I hear from lots of moms who nurse babies my son's age how easily distracted they are. My son just started crawling well and is now pulling up on things. He has a lot more to do than "be a baby" again LOL!
    Answering your questions about the pregnancy- I am now 31 weeks along. And no, pumping would not be a good idea right now, even though I can easily express colostrum and it sometimes leaks. No matter what happens, I will be pumping for the older one after my milk comes in and everything gets settled with baby brother. He doesn't appear to tolerate cow's milk very well, and soy isn't good either. There is a goat farm close to here, so if he needs anything else we'll probably head down there for milk. As for being as pregnant as I am, it was a shock to us. I had NO problems with milk supply or anything, and I should have just listened to my own body instead of my doctor. He told me to go on birth control right away because at 8wks post I started bleeding again. As luck would have it, I was one of the less than like 5% of women who nurse exclusively but still get their period. But I didn't believe it...no way not me right? So after taking the pill for a month I called it quits. Just to be safe I took TWO pregnancy tests- both false negatives. So at 14 weeks into the pregnancy I got very sick and finally found out that indeed I was pregnant- as we had suspected. The unfortunate thing was that my body just did not have the reserves to keep up my milk supply I never dreamed I would have my children close enough together that they will probably be in the same grade when they start school LOL! But anyways, sorry this was so long..
    Last edited by PaddyNHenri; May 31st, 2006 at 08:17 AM.