Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: A few questions

Default A few questions

I have a 6 week old son and he is EBF. He is very gassy, as in passes gas a lot, has gurgles in his tummy almost always, and is fussy from it quite a bit. I am not sure how you know if baby is just a gassy LO or if it's what I am eating that is causing it. He is consitantly gassy, not like something I ate is worse than others, that's why I am confused.

I also have noticed that his poop is sometimes yellow and seedy, but other times brownish and runny. Why is that?

I also have noticed that lately at feedings he will choke and cough, is that because my letdown is to strong? I also have seen him spit up out his nose, is that normal?

He seems to eat, fall asleep, and when he is awake he is mostly fussing? Why isn't he happy and content sometimes through out the day? I mean he does have little spurts of content here and there, but I thought by this age he would have more?

Sorry so many questinos at once, just finally had a chance to get on here and type them all out!

Default Re: A few questions

If you have OALD it may cause gassiness and fussiness. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/newman/02colic_in_bf_baby.html

Usually the food mom eats does not cause a problem for baby, but if lo has a food allergy/intolerence it would cause similar symptoms, perhaps with other symptoms as well.
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...nsitivity.html

Your lo poops sound normal to me. If you were to see blood or mocous you would want to contact your doctor to see what was causing it.

HTH

Hi,

I don't have any answers but I wanted to let you know that my 6.5 wk old also fusses a lot when he is awake. He wants to be held even when he is sleeping and I am beginning to wonder if he'll ever be cheerful. For every 2 min of playtime we have 20 minutes of fussing/crying/screaming. If you get any information, please pass it along. In the meantime, good luck!

When my LO was that age he was that way most of the day but more at night time... so I ended up having him sleep with me when he would wake up and have those bouts of fussing/crying/screaming fits. HTH

Good Luck and I hope others can help as well.

I understand completely. My 6 week old is also a fussy girl when she's awake. I've tried having fun 'playtime' with her but it usually last 5-10 minutes max before she's fussing again. It seems like all she does is eat, fuss, poop, sleep. I can't wait for this time to be over, since I feel like I haven't bonded with her very well yet!

Thank you so much for your responses. It's so nice to know that you're not alone! I just had Clayton smile at me and that makes the fussy periods so much better to deal with. I am finding that when nothing else works to calm him, wearing him in the snuggli seems to work. Thank goodness something does. Hopefully we all will have happier content babies as time goes on!