Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Im debating this and need some MAJOR help!

Unhappy Im debating this and need some MAJOR help!

OK...so I have only been breastfeeding now for 5 days but I am in soooo much pain I cant bear to deal with this anymore...I have tried EVERYTHING and they still HURT and are still cracked and I cry and hold my breath everytime she latches on. I did not have any problems with my son so I dont know why I am now....I feel like I am over producing milk but I know she is getting it because it leaks all over the place when she eats.

I use Lansinoh, but they are still cracked and sore....

She has a small mouth but and I do everything I can to get her on right.

Does anyone have any kind of advice for me? I really dont want to stop because I know how good it is for the baby, but I am to the point of seriously stopping this....I AM SOOOOO MISERABLE!

Default Re: Im debating this and need some MAJOR help!

Maybe you could get the latch looked at by a LC. Sometimes it's hard to tell if it's good from only one angle that mom can see.
    Are you sure you don't have thrush? Are your nipples red, burning, itchy? Mine would kind of burn and tingle all the time. Is the inside of LO's mouth/tongue white? That can cause extreme pain. I had thrush in the beginning with DD and she had NO symptoms, so I went undiagnosed for a week. All it took was little cream and the pain totally went away.
    I'd get those two things checked out before quitting for good.
    Good luck mama.

I agree with LaurasMom, get the latch checked, but make sure it is not thrush. It's difficult to diagnose sometimes because there may be no symptoms on the baby and symptoms on moms can vary. I don't know if you have a ob/gyn or midwife as your medical professional, but I seem to think that medical doctors are less likely to be cognizant of thrush. I suffered with it for over a month before my doctor finally gave me a prescription to treat it. Breastfeeding with thrush is excruciatingly painful.

good luck! HTH!

I'm so sorry you're having so much trouble. It should not be THAT painful. It sounds like a shallow latch to me (cracked nipple). Are there LCs at the hospital you delivered at that you can call for help? Most are free for consultation if you delivered there. Or, call a local LLL leader. It's important that you get help IRL.

Congratulations on your baby!!!! It WILL get better (it can't get worse, right!? ).

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

Keep nipples exposed to air when possible. When wearing a bra, use fresh disposable pads (change when damp). Some mothers use breast shells to protect the nipple from the dampness and friction of the bra.
    Kellymom: Healing Broken Skin in the Nipple Area

This link has some great tips. I had this problem for the first several days with both of my LOs. While it could be thrush, in my case it was simply blisters that broke and scabbed over from shallow latch (I have kind of flat nipples) and hurt upon relatching because it would break open the scab.

I would nurse, close my eyes and breathe deeply during the initial latch on (worst pain), then after a feeding I would rub some breastmilk into my nipple and let it air out a little bit, then AFTER it aired out for a couple of minutes apply just a tiny bit on Lansinoh. Also make sure to change breast pads often. In the early days I would seriously walk around with my boobs hanging out (in my apartment!) so my nipples could get some air!
    Also be diligent about the latch. I was able to correct it with my LOs and achieve a deeper latch. It helped me to sandwich my nipple around the ouside of my areola and aim the nipple toward the roof of my LOs mouth, then make sure that the child's lips were curle dout around the nipple. Sometimes I would have to unlatch and relatch several times (frustrating and painful!) but necessary.
    Good luck!
    YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

I didn't look through the other posts so this may be a repeat Don't forget that Tylenol is OK to take. My midwife wrote a prescription for Percocet, but by the time I was at my wits end it got better. I know the idea of meds is hard but if it gets you over the hump it's probably worth it. I think it took almost 2wks for my nipples to get used to nursing again. My dd has a little mouth so I think that was part of the problem. Hang in there.

I also found help with my latch by watching Dr. Jack Newman's videos. You can find them on the web. He's got some good tips for getting LO to latch on correctly. I remember those days all too well. I waited 6 weeks before I took action. I would curl my toes, hold my breath, rock extra hard in the rocker...yep, I know all those tricks. to you mama. It will get better but you do need to fix the latch issue. Remember to place BM on your nips and leave them open to air too. HTH Good luck.

Shannon,
    Post the link. I brought a new mother here last night and found the last thread you posted that link in and those video clips were REALLY REALLY HELPFUL for her....I can't post any links....but I was savvy enough to find yours!

Way too lazy for formula

Shannon is offline, but here are the help sections of Dr Newman's site:

Help Index

The Videos

Sore Nipples Information

Asymmetrical latch really helps, but I found it very hard to achieve with a floppy newborn and only two hands! I could watch the videos again and again, seeing what I needed to do, but really struggled to achieve it. An extra pair of hands (husband, LC, LLL) and lots of pillows helped!!!

Dr Newman has a formula for a nipple cream that has helped a lot of women.
    You can do this Mama.

Lyn
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Thanks Lyn, AJ woke up right as I was finishing up the post so I didn't have a chance to find it.

Mommy2two, I hope this helps!!!