Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Eggs

Default Eggs

The SuperBaby Food book mentions that allergies to eggs is usually an allergy to the egg white. She mentions that egg yolk is a great source of protein for a baby 7-8 months old and up.

Any thoughts, experiences?

Lyn
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Default Re: Eggs

I started feeding AJ early with eggs. Or at least trying to anyway. He will NOT eat them scrambled. He's got to eat them over/easy and it's still a love/hate relationship with him. Drives me nuts.

We started with the yolks about that time. And the whites at around 10 months (but only because dh slipped and we didn't have any reactions). She loves eggs...anywhich way!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

We started with just the yolk too (around 10 mo I think)- kinda cooked it like an omlette (omlette shaped at least ) sans the milk, of course, and he loved it! He loves to dip it in ketchup (my weakness ) and then a few months later we went to keeping the whites in. Still cook it w/o milk, but a little water in there makes 'em fluffy!!
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Yay! We are having quiche tonight, I will hardboil an egg for D and give him the yolk and see how he handles it. Never know til you try right?
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

We gave DS some egg yolk when he was 10 or 11 mo old (I'd have to look at my notes ... don't remember). We first tried the yolk from a hard boiled egg and DS not at all interested.

I made a mini omelet / pancake hybrid for DS:
    - egg yolk, some finely grated cheese, some crushed cereal (we hadn't done wheat yet so didn't want to use flour)

DS loved these!

We tried giving DS whole egg soon after he turned 12 mo. DH made a regular omelet with cheese and we gave DS some bites. DS liked the egg but alas threw up right after eating it.

Which pushed me over the edge (combined with cow milk reactions) and we took DS to an allergist who confirmed DS allergy to cow milk, egg and a couple other things.

So - have fun, but PLEASE be cautious with foods that are possible allergens.

Lynn

ETA: Neither my DH or I have a history of food allergies.
    Last edited by lsksam; September 4th, 2007 at 12:41 PM.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

We started giving Mady egg yolk around 10 months. She loves them scrambled with cheese and made with mama milk of course. She likes eating them on her toast lately.

We gave our son the yolk at 11 months and the white after he turned 1. The yolk doesn't have much protein but it has every other thing on earth: iron, B12, vit A, vit E, omega-3,....... The white is almost pure protein.