Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: After 12 months, how did you...

Default After 12 months, how did you...

Introduce cows' milk? Did you gradually increase the amount given per day, starting at a couple ounces and completing at several, some days/weeks later? Or did you just start giving it whenever/however much? Thanks

Default Re: After 12 months, how did you...

My DS was already drinking well from a sippy cup. So one day at lunch I gave DS a couple oz cow milk in a sippy cup. I remember a tip form another mom here that her LO wouldn't drink cow milk until she started calling it "cow juice", so I used the term "cow juice" with my DS (we call breast milk "mommy milk").

Much to my surprise DS drank it right down (after an initial funny face that he gets with all new foods).

Unfortunately, DS also got a big rash on his face & neck where the cow milk dribbled and had a mucousy poop after. So we stopped all dairy and went to an allergist who confirmed that DS has an allergy to cow milk (as well as a couple other things).
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

We started at a couple ounces and just went with the flow after that. I couldn't ever tell you how many ounces she'd have in a given day (she wasn't taking a bottle anymore by that point though either-is Sophie?)

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Have not started it yet, but he has had yogurt over the past 4 days. So far no normal size poopies which makes me a little nervous since he's a once or twice a day kind of go-er. If all goes well with this, we will start mixing it with his oatmeal (right now we use mommy milk and rice milk) and then progress from there.

We started with about 2oz on the first day. I gave it a few days to know that it wasn't a problem before proceeding with more. Now he has milk with all of his meals. I have no idea how much he gets a day. I'd say I pour about 4 oz at a time but he never finishes it. So, he's getting about 6 oz a day... maybe?

Be prepared to see some funny faces.
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

DD had been eating cheese and yogurt for a few months so we just went for it. She was already using a sippy cup so we gave her a few ounces at lunch and she just drank it down. We gave it to her cold so that we wouldn't be stuck always warming it. We continued just giving it to her at lunch for about a week. Then we started giving it to her more often (with snacks and in the morning).
    Mom to a beautiful little girl-born June 27th, 2006

We went REALLY slow with it. Started by mixing 2 ounces milk with 6 ounces breast milk in a sippy cup or bottle. Then once a week I would increase the cows milk by 2 ounces. So, four weeks later and he was having 100% cows milk. No fighting with him to take something new, I think it slowly introduced the new taste. And no worries about allergies or any reactions!