Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Calcium & Magnesium

Question Calcium & Magnesium

Hello!

Can a nursing mother (nursing a toddler) take a supplement of calcium & magnesium?
    I thought I heard somewhere that the intake of magnesium can do something with the let-down...
    Are calcium & magnesium not harmful for the child who's probably get some through the BM?

Thanks!

Default Re: Calcium & Magnesium

Hi LadyGodiva,
    It's always a good idea to check with your health care provider when it comes to deciding for yourself what is safe to take or not. LLL Leaders are not health care providers and cannot tell you what is safe or not for you.
    I did find some links to info from a few sources.

Daily Dietary Reference Intakes - Women aged 19-50 (Not an LLL site.)

This paragraph appears in this article here - Helping Mothers Who Work Outside the Home.
    Due to regular missed feedings, working mothers sometimes notice that their menstrual cycles return sooner than for women who are breastfeeding full-time, thus presenting another hurdle. There can often be a supply dip right before her flow begins. There is evidence that supplementing with calcium and magnesium from the middle of the month until flow begins may minimize the alterations in progesterone levels associated with the pre-menstrual time period (Thys-Jacobs 1998), and it has been reported anecdotally that this treatment also reduces the associated decrease in milk supply (Bonyata 2002). Reassure her that a supply dip before her period is usually temporary. She may need to pump a little extra to keep up during this time, but it can be encouraging to know that if return of menses is the cause, the supply dip will only last a few days.

Vitamins & other supplements for breastfeeding mothers (Not an LLL site.)

In general, well-nourished mothers don't need to take vitamin supplements while breastfeeding. The best way for a well-nourished breastfeeding mother to get the nutrition she needs is through a balanced diet. A woman on a restricted or extremely poor diet may benefit from taking supplements. Taking more than the recommended doses of vitamins is not recommended.

Do you have specific concerns that you are hoping the calcium and magnesium may help with?

HTH! Warmly,
    Mary

Quote Originally Posted by LLLMaryP

Do you have specific concerns that you are hoping the calcium and magnesium may help with?

HTH! Warmly,
    Mary
    Hi Mary!

Thanks for your reply.
    I recently started menstruating again and I have the feeling that I do have a production dip during the period. I had read on a board (not here, though) that some women take calcium & magnesium supplements to lessen the production dip.
    And my nursling, although not a tiny baby anymore, seems cranky that he is confronted with a lesser supply.
    Also I wasn't sure anymore f it was calcium or magnesium or the combination of both.
    As to asking the healthcare provider... I am very sure that when BF is concerned any LLL leader knows much more. At least in my part of the world.

It sounds like the LLL article I noted above may have been the information you were looking for then.

There can often be a supply dip right before her flow begins. There is evidence that supplementing with calcium and magnesium from the middle of the month until flow begins may minimize the alterations in progesterone levels associated with the pre-menstrual time period (Thys-Jacobs 1998), and it has been reported anecdotally that this treatment also reduces the associated decrease in milk supply (Bonyata 2002).

Here are the sources quoted above.
    Bonyata, K. Low milk supply associated with menstruation: Calcium/magnesium supplement. KellyMom 2002; http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/natur...s.html#calcium.

Thys-Jacobs, S. et al. Calcium carbonate and the premenstrual syndrome: Effects on the premenstrual and menstrual symptoms. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1998; 179(2): 444-52.

Yes, LLL Leaders have access to information and the desire to look it up for people who have questions , but it's important for a Leader to be clear & careful not to give medical advice, either.

Mary