Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How to puree food?

Question How to puree food?

How do you do it.. I was planning on purchasing a food processor. Is this the best way? If so what type of food processors are you using and what should I look for in one...what size?

(Yea I know i am looking into it WAY early..)
    Last edited by @llli*babygurl; September 3rd, 2007 at 08:11 PM.
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

Default Re: How to puree food?

I just started making my LO baby food. I have a very basic 3-cup food processor. I steam the fruits or veggies until soft. Then I place them in the food processor using the water I had used to steam so as not to waste too many nutrients. I am looking into buying a 10-cup processor though so that I can make larger batches of food.

Once the fruit or veggie is pureed, I save one serving and place in the fridge and freeze the rest in ice cube trays. So far it has been easy and very economical, but we just started solids 3 weeks ago so we haven't made too much...sweet potatoes, pears, and peas...next challenge will be carrots!

I borrowed the book "Super Baby Foods" by Ruth Yaron from our local library as well as other books on making homemade baby food and they have been very helpful. Try http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/ or http://www.myhomemadebabyfood.com/. I have found these sites helpful for referencing as well!

HTH
    Last edited by AnaGracesMama; September 3rd, 2007 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Forgot to add...

i have a food processor but so far I have stuck to using my braun handmixer. it is really easy to use, a cinch to clean, and it can handle a decent amount of food. For example, I made some pearsauce, it was able to accomodate 3 pears which filled up a whole ice cube tray.

My LO prefers to feed himself, so we actually don't do a whole lot of purees. If your baby is at least 6 mo when starting solids it is not necessary to puree the food, but some babies are picky about texture. You won't know until you try, so it is best to be prepared to accomodate the palate of your LO

Ice cube trays??? what's up with that...why not a small bowl...

putting pureed food ice cube trays allow you to freeze it in small quantities so that you don't waste it b/c their tummies are small.

You can serve it in anything you like (small bowl) but it is really handy to freeze it in ice cube trays and then store the little food cubes in a freezer ziplock bag. KWIM?

WOW...that is super cool (sharing info with hubby). We are looking into getting Cuisinart DLC-10S, 7-Cup food processor...we wanted one b4we even thoguht of making his food.

I aslo have www.wholesomebabyfood.com bookedmarked for reference.

Thanks ladies...

http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/...327bf87c113613

I used a food mill like this one.
    the only thing that I ground was meats.
    other foods I just chopped into small peices that baby could pick up.

I use a food processor occassionally, but mostly I use a blender and a food mill. the food mill is so good to have when the baby is just starting because it makes it very smooth. I usually blend it first and then put it thru the food mill to weed out any chunks or skin. You have to be carefull when blending/processing potatoes and sweet potatoes because they can become gluey from the starch. I have not had a problem with this with the blender, but I have heard it can happen. I'm pretty sure I heard that you should not use a food processor for potatoes because it will definitely become gluey...I don't know. I did used the food processor more for meats when we got to that stage. I aslo use ice cube trays. that way, you can feeze it in 1-2 tablespoon sizes, which allows you to just heat up what they need for that meal. I highly recommend the rubbery ice-cube trays. It makes it soooo much easier to get out. I used regular trays with my daughter and it was a nightmare to get the food out. Then I just take the cubes out and store them in a larger air tight container and mark the name of the food and the date on it so that I know how long it is good. I use permant markers to write on the containers so that it doesn't smudge. You can use rubbing alcohol to wipe it right off of the container - best to do this before putting thru the dishwasher because the heat will set the writing a little bit. Good luck!