Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newborn and breastfeeding

Default Newborn and breastfeeding

Hi! My name is Sarah and I just had my beautiful Allie Shannon on Friday and I am breastfeeding. I had extremely sore nipples (they seem to be getting better) and my milk just came in today. She has been doing well with the feedings but today she would feed on one breast and then when I moved her to the other, she wouldn't latch on and would instead start to fall asleep. She didn't seem interested in feeding on the second breast at all. I burped her, waited a few minutes..nothing. Any advice on this?? I didn't feed her on the second breast...is this okay? Thanks for any and all advice.

Default Re: Newborn and breastfeeding

It is perfectly fine to only feed on one breast at a feeding. Just be sure to start on the opposite one at the next feeding. (It's pretty common for moms to feed on one side at a feeding.)

I think the only concern would be if she's so sleepy she isn't getting in 10-12 feedings in 24 hours or isn't making enough wet/dirty diapers (indicating she isn't getting enough.) But, if both of those things are good, it sounds like it's okay.

Sounds like things are going well!

First of all congrats your baby girl... My baby only fed one breast/feeding starting around his 2 day....I have been doing it that way ever since..... I use to try and offer, but now, I just let him feed on one....even if he's still hungry after I burp him I give that same breast(on to make sure he is getting enough hindmilk/fatty milk).
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

Quote Originally Posted by I-Man's Momma View Post
    It is perfectly fine to only feed on one breast at a feeding. Just be sure to start on the opposite one at the next feeding. (It's pretty common for moms to feed on one side at a feeding.)

I think the only concern would be if she's so sleepy she isn't getting in 10-12 feedings in 24 hours or isn't making enough wet/dirty diapers (indicating she isn't getting enough.) But, if both of those things are good, it sounds like it's okay.

Sounds like things are going well!
    I just wanted to ditto this. There are TONS of times that my little one only eats on one side, I just start on the other side at the next feeding Congrats on your little girl!!

Clare's Mum is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

My LO is 10 weeks now and usually only nurses on one side at a time. Just remember to start on the other side for your next feeding. Breastfeeding is such a great experience.

Thanks all for your answers! I'm loving breastfeeding so far and just wanted to make sure my little Allie was getting enough.
    Sarah, mom of :
    Allie Shannon-8-31-07--7lbs. 1 oz

I agree with them. Congrats on Lil Allie and hope the rest of the relationship goes well. :

Congrats on your baby girl! I too was sore in the beginning..it's normal. When else is someone on your boob that long

Feeding one side is normal too, just do what the ladies recommended.

Good luck and keep coming back with any questions.

Squeeze some bm on your nipples after nursing and air dry. Also the soothies gel pads helped the soreness. It gets better!
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

I say go with your instincts. It's hard to tell when they are still newborn, so I always tried to wake lo to be sure lo was really done, and make sure my milk supply was good. Wet/dirty diapers and weight gain are the best indications. Nursing often will keep away jaundace. HTH

my little bugger four months old still eats on one boob, occasionally two, usually a growth spurt when this happens. Congrats and welcome you will find tons of help here!
    My little May baby just turned THE BIG ONE!
    Formally known as kaykate23