Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is this baby overfed?

Default Is this baby overfed?

My 11 month old nephew is fed almost everything his parents eat on top of baby food all at one time. For example, they had burritos and he ate half with a yo baby yogurt and baby food and a bottle of formula milk about 20 minutes later.

Also, we went to a party where he ate an entire piece of birthday cake. He was so hyper that he couldn't focus.

Isn't that too much food for a baby? Whenever he's awake he's eating. I don't say anything because I don't think it's my place to...

Just wanted to vent because this child is already overweight--doctor said so.

Default Re: Is this baby overfed?

Hmm... Perhaps he's not overfed, but rather fed the wrong things? Yo-baby, birthday cake- those are both really sugary.

Is he exclusively formula-fed, or is he also breastfed? Breastfed babies tend to gain weight faster in the beginning, and then become lean faster towards the end of the first year. Formula-fed babies, on the other hand, generally gain weight more slowly during the infant stage, but as their first year rounds out, their rate of weight gain does not decrease as quickly as in a breastfed baby.

Formula-fed or breastfed, your nephew is likely just going through a chubby stage. Once he's a mobile toddler, those pounds will probably disappear. The question is, will his parents help him learn to make the healthy food choices that keep them from coming back?