Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Solids and poop ...

Default Solids and poop ...

I started my 6-month-old on solids about 2.5 weeks ago, and I noticed yesterday that he had a poop that's more like an adult poop -- brown and solid (sorry if TMI). Is this what should be happening at this point? So far, the only solids he's had are rice cereal, bananas, sweet potato, and avocado. Before yesterday, his poops always seemed to look a little like whatever he ate, especially the sweet potato, which looked the same coming out as it did going in. LOL Yesterday's poop also smelled worse than usual... He also used to poop every day, but now he skips days... Anyway, just wanted to know if this is normal. TIA

Default Re: Solids and poop ...

I started my 6.5 m/o on solids about 3 weeks ago and the same thing happened to ds. Perfect description of poop and he also poops every other day now. I hope it is normal, I am pretty sure it is. Similarly my son has had rice cereal, bananas, sweet potatoes, also apple sauce and carrots and today pears for the first time. It is so much fun watching him try a new thing and so far no allergies. Whew. Fun times with food!

Default Re: Solids and poop ...

it's normal for some kids to go a couple of days without pooping (at least that's what our ped told us). there are foods that cause constipation though...bananas are one of them. make sure your lo is getting enough liquid still to keep things moving. it might also be wise to introduce something with a lot of fiber, like broccoli, if you're concerned. we have the opposite problem with our son. he's almost a year old and still poops about 7 times a day.