Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Content of breastmilk, is this true?

Default Re: Content of breastmilk, is this true?

All of my children have started solids are different ages. The earliest was at 8 months, the lastest at 16 months. My children were/are fine! Even my child who was very reluctant to eat solids, and was about getting about 60-70% of his caloric intake from mama's milk at 2, grew and is a very healthy little guy today. As long as you are able to keep up your supply, your bm will meet the nutritional needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Momma1 View Post
    My pediatrician, who is very breastfeeding-savvy, told me that up to the age of 1 year, breastmilk is sufficient nutrition for a baby. Until that time, solids are just for experimenting with new tastes and textures, and new mouth skills (like chewing).

If you're doing BLW, don't be surprised if breastmilk continues to make up a large component of your baby's diet after the age of 1 year! It's a good thing if it does- a lot of toddlers are very picky eaters, and by continuing to breastfeed, you can be sure that your baby is getting lots of vital nutrients.

Mothering Magazine has a great article this month about the value of extended breastfeeding. That's where those figures for milk composition come from. I'm not sure Mothering is on newstands in Malaysia, but they do have online subscriptions if you want the full article!

Oh- and here's another article from a back issue of Mothering, also on the benefirts of extended nursing: http://www.mothering.com/articles/ne...an-or-not.html
    Thank you for sharing this wonderful article. I sent it to my in-laws...he he he. I printed it out, and also e-mailed it to my nursing friends! What a great article! I am going to subscribe to mothering magazine!

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

They also have a forum I lurk there sometimes.

This was mentioned briefly but I wanted to point it out again... the main thing the babies eventually need that breastmilk doesn't provide enough of is iron.

In "Mothering Your Nursing Toddler" (an LLL book) she says "Breast milk does not contain sufficient amounts of some minerals for toddlers. This is the case with iron, although the iron in human milk is in a highly bioavailable form that leaves nurslings less vulernable to deficiencies than was once believed. The concern in years past about iron-deficiency anemia in infants and young children resulted from problems in formula-fed babies and toddlers who drank a large amount of cow's milk, not in nursing babies and children..... The healthy, full-term baby has a store of iron in his liver that is sufficient for at least nine months, often even more. And he gets some iron from breast milk. Therefore, most well-born babies have no need for sources of iron in the diet for nine months to a year." (pg 39) She also notes on this page that vitamin C helps the body absorb iron so when you do provide solids, it's important to offer foods that contain iron and vitamin c.

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807

It is totally normal and healthy for breastmilk to be 90% of the diet at 8 months. I would be worried if solids were making up too much more than 10%, honestly since breastmilk is far more nutritious than any solid foods you could feed your baby. My son was still about 90% breastfed at 12 months (which is a bit high I bet on average, but still very healthy) but now at 18 months he eats much more solids and still nurses 6 or more times a day. His doctor thinks that is a perfect balance, and the research supports that as well - after a year breastmilk increases in fat and antibodies content.

It does change over time but doesn't lose nutrition value, it's just tailored more to a toddler than a newborn (that is also why most breastmilk banks only accept milk from moms with kids under 1 year - it's better for newborns to have milk meant for newborns).

Don't forget, the world health organization recommends breastfeeding for a MINIMUM of 2 years, with no upper limit. They wouldn't advise that if breastmilk wasn't necessary or nutritious after a year. Babies do need solids at some point, usually between 6 and 12 months because they are getting bigger and their bodies are able to process a greater variety of foods but breastmilk is the most important part of their diet for at least a year, and continues to be important (but gradually becoming a supplement for solids rather than vice versa) for at least another year after that.