Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Content of breastmilk, is this true?

Default Content of breastmilk, is this true?

Hi all,

I was told (and have read some places) that as the baby gets older, the content of breastmilk reduces in nutrients, minerals, calories, etc... and this is the main reason why babies need to have solid food, after 6 months.

I am BLW-ing (baby led weaning) my son, and he doesn't eat very much to be honest, but he is being breastfed on cue. However, I have been reprimanded for doing so because I have been told that DS is not getting enough from breastmilk, therefore he needs to eat other things and he needs to be spoonfed with carbohydrates, since he is now crawling around and moving a lot.

I would like to know whether the content of breastmilk changes as the baby grows older, i.e. less nutritious, cannot sustain a growing, crawling baby until at least 1 year (with some solids thrown in?)

Would appreciate some feedback.

THanks loads..

Best wishes

Default Re: Content of breastmilk, is this true?

heres some info form kelly moms

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/index.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...ler-foods.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/bfextended/ebf-benefits.html

there is alot of miss infomation out there!
    If you have any more ?'s don't be afraid to call your local LLL leader.
    The thing about feeding babies most of the info is written by baby food companies and they want to to use jar after jar of their foods.
    Is your baby having trouble with weight gain?

I was curious about this also since you can only donate BM during a certain time of the babies age...I thought that was odd...
    Mommy to Chance Lane 1/18/07
    I love my miracle baby so much! Be the best that you can be to your angels no matter how selfless you have to be!

Thanks for the links

Umm... well his weight gain was quite rapid initially, but when he reached about 7 months, his weight plateued.. now he is 8 months and I don't think he has put on much weight.
    but he is BF well. I was wondering if it's bad that he is on BM 90%? although he is already 8 months...? would he be lacking in nutrients, etc..?
    I am in Malaysia, and we have no LLL leader here..

kandikane, is that true? donating BM only at a certain time? i wonder why..?

Keep in mind it is VERY common for weight gain to even out between 9-12 months. Reason being is baby is no longer sedentary and is moving around, kicking, crawling, pulling up, standing, maybe even walking for some. Completely normal. BM is best for baby in the first year, period.

This was a thread posted in "Breastfeeding Beyond One"...just an interesting tidbit...

"Between the ages of 12 and 24 months, 448 milliliters of a mother's milk provide these percentages of the following minimum daily requirements:
    Energy: 29%
    Protein: 43%
    Calcium: 36%
    Vitamin A: 75%
    Folate: 76%
    Vitamin B12: 94%
    Vitamin C: 60%"
    Leslie- Momma to Aiden 02/28/06 AND Owen 2/28/08...What timing

Older and wiser voices can always help you find the right path, if you are only willing to listen.--Jimmy Buffet

Quote Originally Posted by Aidens Mommy View Post
    Keep in mind it is VERY common for weight gain to even out between 9-12 months. Reason being is baby is no longer sedentary and is moving around, kicking, crawling, pulling up, standing, maybe even walking for some. Completely normal. BM is best for baby in the first year, period.

This was a thread posted in "Breastfeeding Beyond One"...just an interesting tidbit...

"Between the ages of 12 and 24 months, 448 milliliters of a mother's milk provide these percentages of the following minimum daily requirements:
    Energy: 29%
    Protein: 43%
    Calcium: 36%
    Vitamin A: 75%
    Folate: 76%
    Vitamin B12: 94%
    Vitamin C: 60%"
    I was just about to go and look for this myself. I think this sums it up well enough. Next time someone (including doctors) tells you that breastmilk loses its nutritional value after a certain amount of time, just tell them what's on this list. That'll shut them up pretty quick.
    ~Brandi~

Loving wife to K
    Proud stepmom to B, and proud mom to J and R-A
    and our newest addition C

Happily homeschooling
    Still and and

Ask me about Parkinson's Disease! Visit me at Life With Shaky!

Actually I have heard that the opposite is true. That is the amount of antibodies as well as fat content increases as the baby gets older to make up for the calories lost with mobility and to compensate for the new germs baby comes across as he goes around. The reason that BM is not enough after 1 year (and it is totally sufficient until 1) is because the baby is bigger and has increased need for all nutrients and has to consume a lot of BM (most of us cannot produce that much I guess) to get all of it. But even with that until they are 2, they only need extra source of iron and zinc as long as they BF well on demand.

I know that the cholesterol increases.. and I'm sure that other things about the make up of breastmilk change as well. I know a baby who refused solids for the first year of her life and I started mine on solids at five months. The girls were born in the same month. At 10 months, the exclusively breastfed baby was fatter and more advanced in gross motor and had a higher iron level than my baby... My baby, of course, was better than her in every other way. Anyway, yes I do believe the milk changes, and I'm sure that's why you can only donate milk before 6 mos... because newborn milk is perfect for newborns and toddler milk is perfect for toddlers. Perhaps milk banks need higher concentrations of colostrum. The concentration of colostrum is constantly changing. As the child weans, the concentration of colostrum increases again. My baby plateaued at some point too, and honestly I hated it. She did NOT follow the curve well at all. But her father and I were always the smallest in our class in early elementary school (even though her dad's now 6'1") and since she was born at a great birth weight and grew beautifully for many months, it was only a matter of time until she had to slow down for a while. She's three now and making up for it now. And now that she's growing faster, she's eating SO MUCH more. If they aren't growing, they aren't hungry. It's not the other way around, regardless of what Chutes and Ladders tries to tell you. Keep track of the blood iron levels. If those are high enough, your child's probably not nutritionally deprived. Just try to make every bite count, but try to relax about it. You have everything that child really needs inside of you.

Once my daughter started crawling she lost 2 lbs and stayed at that weight for almost 6 months. Of course we went on to walking. At first she wouldn't do whole milk from a cup - it wasn't until a vacation where it was so hot she finally realized - hey this thing helps quinch my thirst! Milk from a cup really helped with ensuring she receives plenty of fat and vitamins.

I too have been criticized, mainly by my mother, that Mel is not getting enough nutrition. Breastmilk is full of nutrients that are tailored to YOUR baby's needs. Tandum feeding is the act of feeding an infant and a maybe a toddler. And one breast will produce for the infant and the other for the toddler and usually the toddler (being the one able to talk) will say "that one is icky, I like this one) and set the stage for which gets which. My point is - that proves, the milk changes as the baby does and different babies at different stages need different combinations of nutrients.

Have no worries - you two will settle into something that pleases both of you.

My pediatrician, who is very breastfeeding-savvy, told me that up to the age of 1 year, breastmilk is sufficient nutrition for a baby. Until that time, solids are just for experimenting with new tastes and textures, and new mouth skills (like chewing).

If you're doing BLW, don't be surprised if breastmilk continues to make up a large component of your baby's diet after the age of 1 year! It's a good thing if it does- a lot of toddlers are very picky eaters, and by continuing to breastfeed, you can be sure that your baby is getting lots of vital nutrients.

Mothering Magazine has a great article this month about the value of extended breastfeeding. That's where those figures for milk composition come from. I'm not sure Mothering is on newstands in Malaysia, but they do have online subscriptions if you want the full article!

Oh- and here's another article from a back issue of Mothering, also on the benefirts of extended nursing: http://www.mothering.com/articles/ne...an-or-not.html
    Last edited by Momma1; September 10th, 2007 at 10:48 AM.