Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: is putting rice cereal in the milk the same thing as introducing solids?

Default is putting rice cereal in the milk the same thing as introducing solids?

my baby is two months old and my family seems to think breastmilk is not satisfying him totally, like he is always hungry, always wanting to eat, etc... they suggested i start putting a little bit of rice cereal in his milk (he is bottle fed, as i exclusively pump). is this the same thing as starting solids? or is rice cereal different? thanks for any help!

Default Re: is putting rice cereal in the milk the same thing as introducing solids?

Here is some information on rice cereal

Here is some good information as well. Cereal in a bottle is a choking hazard.

How often is your LO feeding? How many oz is he getting? How many wet/dirty dipes is he having? Have you re-tried getting him back to the breast? The best way to keep your milk supply up is to actually BF as the pump is unable to extract your milk the way a baby does. Sorry, my LO is up, I'll check in later

Default Re: is putting rice cereal in the milk the same thing as introducing solids?

Your baby may be having a growth spurt. When this happens they eat all the time in an attempt to boost your supply. It will even out and your baby will get plenty to eat as long as you feed him when he 'asks.' Rice cereal does count as solids and will do nothing more than fill your baby's belly up with little nutritional value. The reccomended age for solids (including rice cereal) these days is 6 months. This is probably different from the way it was when your mother, mil, grandma was raising babies and is probably why they are suggesting it. As the previous post said, putting cereal in the bottle is a choking hazard.

Check out this site:
    http://www.drgreene.com/21_561.html

and print it out for your family if you feel like you need to. Ultimately this is your baby and you should trust your instincts. It sounds like you already know you don't want to do this, just tell them so.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

That would be the same thing as starting solids. You didn't ask for my opinion, but if you don't mind me sharing, my best suggestion is to not start solids so young.

It might help to know that it's totally normal for breastfed (or breast milk fed) babies to want to eat more frequently since breastmilk is digested quicker than formula.

Additionally, babies like to suck, babies like to be held, and babies like to be close to mom. It doesn't matter what they are fed, how they are fed, or who they are--those are a baby's NEEDS.

Do what feels right to you. Tune everyone else out and just listen to your baby and you can't go wrong!