Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Field Trip? Where to pump?

Default Field Trip? Where to pump?

We are taking a field trip this week, and it's totally outside. No gift shop, no indoor restrooms, only the port-o-pottys. What would happen if I pump at 7 and then not again until 2:30? Would that be horrible and affect my supply? I normally pump at 7 and 12 for 15 min each time when at work, but I have no idea how to do it on the trip. It's not a great idea to leave my 23 5th graders with another teacher either.

Default Re: Field Trip? Where to pump?

I'm sure people with more experience will come along, but I would think that if it's just a one-time interruption, your supply shouldn't suffer much. If you pump every day at your normal times and just have to skip that day, I'd think you may be uncomfortable but I wouldn't think you'd do lasting damage.

could you use the bus?
    One day will not hurt your supply but if your body is used to pumping then if you even think about the baby I bet you'll get a wet shirt.
    better take a change of clothes.

Oh my gosh! I am a teacher too and never thought about FIELD TRIPS!!! Let us know what you end up doing and how it works out. I personally don't think one day without pumping will do much. What day of the week? If it is Thursday or Friday, at least you will have the weekend to build your supply back up.

Do you have a hand pump that you could take with you? I have found that if I can just pump off enough to relieve the engorgement that is helpful.

If that isn't an option, Avent also makes a breast cup (?? I don't really know what it is called). It is made of hard plastic and is supposed to help your nipples heal if they are cracked. Anyways, they are vented and help relieve engouragment. The milk collects in the bottom of the little cup. I have used these from time to time when I couldn't pump. No one could tell I was wearing them. That may be another option - and it will keep your shirt dry!

that shouldn't be a problem at all. i'm sure you'll end up slightly uncomfortable and definitely make sure you wear nursing pads, but it won't affect your milk supply. i tried to pump every 4 hours, but sometimes with my work schedule it would end up being 3 hours or 6-7 hours. if i went 6-7 hours in between pumping, i would be able to get 5-6 ounces per breast instead of my standard 4. going that long in between sessions every once in a while won't have any adverse effects. have fun playing outside with the kids!

Hmmm... I may just forgo the pump and try it. Getting 5-6 oz when I get back would be wonderful versus my normal 3 oz total each session. And I do have the engorgment thingies (I call them my plastic boobies). I will TRY to pump, but if not I guess I'll be okay. Thankfully it is on a Friday, I didn't think of that!