Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weaning off breast shield issues

Default Weaning off breast shield issues

Thanks to much help from the pros at my local LLL meeting, I was able to wean my lo off of the breast shields about a week ago. She is 5 weeks old. I was using them because of latch issues (inverted/flat nipples).

Things were going great until a few days ago when she started fussing at the end of each feeding. She would pull on my nipple (ouch!), and cry painfully (kicking), then once she calmed down want to feed more. Sometimes she would be fine right after feeding, but then 15-30 minutes later would start crying as if in pain, and act hungry again. So I would feed her again.

I thought at first she was going through a growth spurt, but now I think I might have overactive letdown... She gulps and makes a clicking noise when on the breast, and my letdowns are now painful after she first latches on, which never was the case with the shields, and from what I can tell she's latching correctly, because the pain subsides after a few minutes.

If it is overactive letdown, could this be causing her gas or reflux, resulting in pain? I give her mylicon drops but it doesn't seem to make a difference. Right now I'm working on just using one breast per feeding and she doesn't seem AS fussy. Is there anything else I can do? I don't want to deplete my supply unnecessarily.

I'm at my wits end because she's not sleeping well as a result.

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Weaning off breast shield issues

When I stopped using the shield with my DD I noticed that she had a hard time keeping up with the milk flow because it came out so much faster without the shield(took her about a week to get used to it) . I don't have OALD, but it was an adjustment for her. It did trigger her reflux to be much worse though because with the shield it took her forever to nurse, so her tummy was never very full, but she would finish in half the time without it so it was fuller quicker. Does your LO have any other signs of reflux? Or it could be gas from nursing faster, in which case she will probably learn to slow down. As for the sore nipples, that should pass soon. I think it was about two weeks for me. Your nipples need to toughen up a little because the shield isn't there to protect them. Good luck and on weaning LO off of the shield!

Sorry about the duplicate original message!

I hate to say this but I ended up going back to the shields. Saturday night did me in, she cried after feeding for about 2 hours straight, and the night feedings are usually her calmest. Screaming I should say. I was already exhausted from her crying during the day. I felt so bad for her, so Sunday morning I fed her with the shields and my little angel reappeared!

I think it might be reflux because she's always had gas, and these cries were much different from her gassy/poopie cries. She had been drooling a lot more, and making gulping noises after her feedings were done (like she's still trying to swallow?).

I pumped yesterday and looked at the flow during letdown and it did look pretty strong to me, but I have nothing to compare it to.

Is 5 weeks too early to wean her of the shields maybe? Do you think if I wait until she's a little older that maybe she'll be able to handle the letdowns better? I just don't think I'm emotionally ready to deal with a baby that cries in pain after every feeding right now.

Thanks for your help!

Don't worry about it. It was an on again off again process with my DD and I as well. It was about a month of going back and forth before it worked to not use it at all. You have to do what works best for you both Just keep trying now and again without the shield, and you might find that one day you don't need it at all!